012. bugs

Sam found a case and they talked to a guy that the victim worked with. He told them where the victim died and the three get there.

"Huh. What do you think?" Dean asks.

"I don't know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast." Sam says. They duck under the police tape and look down the hole with their flashlights.

"So, what? Some sort of creature chewed on his brain?" Dean asks.

"No, there'd be an entry wound. Sounds like this thing worked from the inside." Sam says.

"Huh. Looks like there's only room for one." Dean says. "I say smallest goes down."

"And I say the biggest asshole goes down. You two can flip a coin for it." Miranda remarks.

"Well, Sammy, you wanna flip a coin?" Dean asks.

"Dean, we have no idea what's down there." Sam says as Dean grabs some rope that's nearby.

"All right, I'll go if you're scared. You scared?" Dean asks.

"Flip the damn coin." Sam tells him and Dean chuckles.

"All right." Dean takes a coin out. "Call it in the air, chicken." He flips the coin, Sam catching it midair.

"I'm going." The younger brother declares.

"I said I'd go."

"I'm going." Sam starts to wrap the rope around his waist.

"Don't drop me." Sam orders.

"Thanks for the idea." Miranda smirks.

+++

Dean is driving and Sam has a dead beetle in his hand, Miranda sitting in the backseat.

"So you found some beetles. In a hole, in the ground. That's shocking, Sam." Dean states sarcastically.

"There were no tunnels, no tracks. No evidence of any other kind of creature down there. You know, some beetles do eat meat. Now, it's usually dead meat, but--"

"How many did you find down there?" Dean asks.

"Ten." Sam answers.

"It'd take a whole lot more than that to eat out some dude's brain." Dean says.

"Well, maybe there were more." Sam says.

"I don't know, it sounds like a stretch to me." Dean says.

"Well, we need more information on the area, the neighborhood. Whether something like this has ever happened before." Sam says.

"I know a good place to start." Dean says, pointing out a sign that reads "Models Open. New Buyers' BBQ Today!"

"I'm kinda hungry for a little barbeque, how 'bout you?" Dean asks. Sam gives him a look. "What, we can't talk to the locals?"

"And the free food's got nothin' to do with it?" Sam asks.

"Of course not. I'm a professional." Dean says.

"Right." Sam mutters.

Dean parks and they get out, the three heading for one of the houses. "Growin' up in a place like this would freak me out."

"Why?" Sam asks.

"Manicured lawns, "How was your day, honey?" I'd blow my brains out." Dean says.

"There's nothing wrong with "normal."" Sam says.

"Yeah, it's pretty fucking relaxing." Miranda comments.

"I'd take our family over normal any day." Dean states.