Chapter 41 - I Told You So

Start from the beginning

At Courtney's birthday celebration, I didn't have any plans of attending, even though she made an effort to get her first A for this. Jackson kept saying it was a trap or something, that she made that kind of effort just for me to think differently about her. Jackson wasn't impressed that she moved her party and invited everyone, as he knew there was always an ulterior motive.

At that time, I decided not to go to shut him up. But god, I missed Courtney's smile. That day, all I wanted was to see her smile and everything would be fine. I remembered that she wanted sweets, so I asked my mom if she could help me bake a cake for Courtney.

I'd never seen her so eager and excited like that, too bad the first cake burned, but that didn't stop us from making another one. That was the time Jackson came over unannounced. He had a hunch, and it turned out to be true.

He didn't try to stop me at that time though, I guess he must have thought it was too late already. The cake was already made, so all he could do was come with me so I wouldn't do anything stupid. I settled on that.

I found myself thinking constantly about Courtney after that party. I thought of her smile, and the way she ran to me and... hugged me. I was taken aback, unsure of what to do. I still tried my best to hold back, to remind myself that these feelings I have for her wouldn't do any good. It would be impossible. I was just complicating things.

But it was her birthday, and I wanted to hug her. The force was too strong to ignore, so I gave in.

Following that, I continued to distance myself from her. Drew some boundaries, and forcefully ignore her. I felt that I didn't want to, but I had to.

So when she sent me that message, I didn't really have any plans of showing up. I busied myself and convinced myself that she would just leave anyway. It is unlikely that she would stay that long if I weren't there within 30 minutes.

But then, the thought of her waiting, that maybe she was still there—knowing how determined and stubborn she was sometimes, made me feel so uneasy. I was right. She waited for me for hours, and when I finally arrived she had tears in her eyes. I had no idea, and I felt terrible for making her wait and being drenched by rain.

I didn't hold back anymore. I ran towards her without knowing that moment would change everything. That it would make me the happiest guy in the world.

Until now, I was unsure how this happened. I had no idea she felt the same way as I do, and it was crazy.

Now that the deal is off the table, I didn't have to overthink things and doubt her actions anymore. There was no doubt in my mind that what she did was true this time. Not just for the sake of exam papers, or winning. I was finally able to trust her without a doubt. I felt relieved and trusting her felt really nice.

And even though we're in a relationship now, I still won't forget about my promise of helping her graduate. I will still help her with that part. On top of that, I have to find out her plans after high school. It's something we haven't discussed yet.

But before that, I have a mission and this needs to be done now.

I have to tell Jackson.

"Hey, congratulations!" Jackson cheered as he placed his food tray on the table. We were in the cafeteria, the place I planned to tell him about me and Courtney since I couldn't get hold of him.

I was taken aback by what he said though. Did he know already? But who told him? He's not mad or something? No lectures? He was genuinely happy even! I couldn't believe it, he was actually happy for me and Courtney?

It made me think, who had he talked to about it? "Who told you about it?" I had to ask.

"Your mom." He answered nonchalantly as he bit into his mac and cheese.

My mom? I hadn't told my mom about Courtney and I yet! How did she know? Did she have a hunch?

"Why are you acting so surprised? Is it supposed to be a secret?" Jackson frowned in confusion.

"No, it's just that..." I started with a laugh. Boy, I thought this would be difficult! "I thought you wouldn't like it."

"What?" Jackson laughed. "I didn't know I have a say on your future now. Besides, it's an outstanding school! I know you would get it, plus it was your dream, right?"

I stopped whatever word I was about to say and asked "What are you talking about?"

"Stanford. You were offered a scholarship for your English major, right? Your mom was so happy and excited. I am too! I knew you could do it even without the athletic scholarship you were aiming for when we were still swi—" Jackson stopped mid-sentence, and looked at me as if I had grown an extra head. "Why? What were you talking about?"

I hesitated for a second, but there's no need to hide this anymore. I have to tell him about this anyway. It's better to do it sooner than later. "Courtney."

"What about her?" His expression changed, all the happiness was gone. Okay, this will be a long talk. "I talked to her. Don't get angry please. It's for the better anyway."

I was about to protest, but he kept talking. I didn't have a chance to intervene. "I admire her though, at least she still has a heart and finally stopped all her games. She won't bother you anymore."

I smiled at this, eager to let him know that he was right. We dropped whatever game we were playing, because this time, it's real. "Well, actually, she's..."

The next two words, my girlfriend, dissolved in my mouth the moment I saw her enter the cafeteria.

She had her hair curled up, bright red lipstick on, a mini skirt, and high heels that she weren't comfortable of wearing. But that wasn't the reason I felt my heart breaking at the moment. It was the person she was with.

"Yeah, she's back with Troy. Football team returned last night. Right timing, huh? At least she's back to who she really is and has stopped playing with you. Oh well, I told you so."

--END OF CHAPTER 41--

A/N: OOOOOPPPPPPS. Did you see that coming? Share your thoughts!

Read the advance Chapters (Currently on Chapter 47) on my Patreon Page: notjustarandomgirl

Also, check out the new and edited version of Steal My Girl, just uploaded here in Wattpad. Of course you can check out the advance Chapters too on my Patreon.

Enjoy reading my stories!