THE OTHER BROTHER

Start from the beginning

-

-

-

The day has been going slow and no call has come through. I am beginning to think he sensed that it was me in some way. 
“No call back?” 
My inmate asks. I have been holding on to his phone since morning and now it’s evening. I shake my head no. Maybe I should just let this go and forget about trying to rebuild the friendship with him. 
“Maybe he forgot or maybe the man is busy. He is a businessman after all.”
He might be right there but...
“Just give him the call. Maybe he is at home now.”
With my shaky hands I dial his numbers again. 
“Dumisa.” He quickly answers. 
I keep quiet. All that I have practiced has just swam out of the window. How typical! 
“Halo!” He shouts. I clear my throat. 
“It’s me.” He keeps quiet. I can still hear him breathing. A little voice in me tells me to speak. 
“I never wanted to be the reason for your tears. I am sorry for my behavior. Please forgive me. I know this is the lamest apology – but trust me I regret everything that I made you go through. Please look after my wife.” I dropped the call before he could even respond. Am I aiming high for what I have just requested? Looking at someone's person is a huge responsibility. 
“I am so proud of you. That is the first step to healing.” 
I shook my head in agreement. If this is what it takes for my brother to forgive me then so be it. I am game for anything at this point. They say beggars can't be choosers, right. 

DUMISA

I look at the phone and chuck in disbelief. Did Ngcobo call me and apologies? That man treats himself as the God of Greek. Still in disbelief. I end up smiling. Not that I am happy, but I smile out of shock. That was rather unexpected to say. 
“Is my father falling in love?” Khanyi asks settling beside me. I smile and shake my head. These youngsters think behind a man's smile it’s always about love, which is never the case. 
“My love for women died along with the love of my life which is your mother.” I look at the portrait on the wall and smile. I know she is looking over us wherever she is. That woman loved me when I had nothing. She continued to love me even in death. In respect and honor – I vowed to never fall for another woman. And I have kept my promise for more than twenty years. 
“So, you are trying to tell me that my mother will forever be in your heart, and you do not wish to move on?” Why does she sound so shocked. I have always preached this and never hid it. That’s how I am transparent with these kids. 
“It’s a vow I made. When you love someone, you do not easily let go. Unless if you never fell in love with that person, then it will be easy of you to just wipe the memories of them in your heart and mind.” 
She nods her head and covers herself with a throw. She places her head on my shoulder. “So, what was making you smile like that? Is it money?”
I laugh. The love she has for money will kill me one day. “Ngcobo gave me a call to apologies. I am not smiling because I am happy. I am smiling because I am so shocked. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought that this man would apologies to me and asks for forgiveness. It’s shocking.” 
Khanyi also gasps in shock. “You lie.”
“I tell you. Strue God.” 
“I also don’t know what to say. It sounds crazy and exciting at the same time. I don’t ever want to see that man.” 
“But you see his wife almost every day. How come you forgave the wife and not your father?”
“He is not my father.” 
I chuck. “Ntombi yami. If I die today. That man will be the man that will walk you down the aisle. He will be arranging everything for you. Everything will be in his hands. He will be your parent again. So, righting him off is not a suggestion.”
She groans in annoyance. She understands what I mean. I smile looking at her tiny feet. This girl looks so much like her mother and for Thabi – that one took after me with her giant feet. 
I’m trying to cook dinner for us but it’s not going according to plan. It’s been a long time since I stood behind the stove. The mother of my kids would be very disappointed in me. I throw everything away and sigh.
“Are you trying to burn down the kitchen Baba?” Her sweet voice takes me out of the misery of mission. Pots are no child's play. 
“I was trying to make dinner for us.” I say apologetically. I know she must be hungry. 
“I will make you something quick.” She laughs so hard that tears spring out of her eyes. I will let this slide. Payback time is just around the corner. I know she will flop someday. I walked out of the kitchen and let her do her thing. I know she knows it better than I do. 
She made a quick one. Nothing special, just rice and chicken stew. 
“This was out of this world.” 
“I know hy.” 
Okay I will let her be. This girl is full of herself. Now that I am full, I am going to lay down and prepare my body for tomorrow. Running businesses is not a joke. Thabi needs to be back in business game. There is no way in hell that a handsome man like me will grow grey hair.