THE OTHER BROTHER

Start from the beginning

MKHULEKO

I am standing outside the police station playing with my thoughts. I feel like I am being followed but I cannot pinpoint. I looked around and saw no one. I take a deep breath and walk in. The line is so long – I hate waiting. The officer was kind enough to help me cut the queue. I want to look right into his eyes. There he is sitting with his hands clasped together. I feel my inside laugh with so much joy. “The mighty Ngcobo.” I speak. He tilts his head looking straight at me  The police officer steps out leaving us both. I pulled the chair and sat down. The smile on my face is larger than the continent itself. 
“It’s petty seeing you here.” He says and leans back and folds his arms.  Still cocky I see. This man can never be humble.
“I just came to see if the job was done well. I never rest you know.” I wiggle my eyebrows. The look on his face is remarkable. This is what I exactly wanted. For him to be astonished to death. Madala is playing along.  I laugh out loud throwing my head backwards. This is so much fun – way better than I thought.
“You son of a bitch.” He hisses banging the table. I let out a howl of laughter. This man though.  I love seeing him like this.
“Easy Madala. We do not want you to have a heart attack now do we.” I say with a smirk on my face. His face looks chilled for a person who is behind bars. The madness is their but there is this look that bothers me.
“I hope you are ready for the fight I am about to give you. Hope you are ready for war.” He hisses. He looks like a mad man right now. I smile. 
“I am just glad that you are not my father-in-law. We cannot have two bulls in one kraal. Now that would have been a disaster. Anyway, let me love and leave you. By the way the girls know about their true identity.” I say standing. Now this gave him the shocker of his life. Priceless moment of all times. He wasn’t expecting it. I laugh and walk out leaving him cursing. Shame poor thing. How will he survives indonga zejerico. That place is no child’s play. 

Again, that sense of being followed creeps back. I take a deep breath and get in my car. I have an important mission for tonight. My blood is not up for this and to be honest I don’t even feel like doing it. But money is what I need. I will not drive straight to my house but would rather drive around until the sense of being watched is gone. 

Been in town all day. The awful sense is gone. They always say, trust your sixth sense. I look around once more and drive straight home. I will take a hot shower and wait for the signal to pop. I swear tonight is the last job I get to do. I want to settle down now and be a responsible man. Get married and have kids. My phone rings and it’s Violet. This girl is starting to be a bore in my life. I let the phone ring. I know she will call again within the next few seconds. And indeed, she does. I need no distractions for the night. I want to focus on something. I look at the picture on the wall. My room is so bright with Khanyi’s picture hanging on there.  A smile spreads on my face. Toti is my all. I love her. One woman that makes my heart skip whenever I think of her.

NGCOBO 

This boy has been testing my patience for far too long now. It’s time I dealt with him accordingly. Khanyi will always find another man that will make her happy.  What was she thinking dating this good for nothing criminal. A lesson is what needs to be taught.
“I need to make a quick call.” I say. My mouth is so itchy. Itchy to tell someone to ruin someone’s life. Taking him out is not optional. I would be the first suspect and I don’t want a murder cases added onto two attempted murder cases.
“You only have two minutes.” At least I am offered those two minutes. It will be useful enough.  I call my right hand man. Someone I know that they will do the job and never disappoint.
“Msizi. I need you to keep on following that boy. I want to know what he is up to.”
“He has a job later on. I…” 
“Pimp him.” 
“Excuse me?”  Is this boy too slow to understand the language?
“Inform the cops. Provide them with the location…” The phone is being pulled off me. I hope that big head heard. Impiyakhe went AWOL on me. I can’t seem to get ahold of him. A smile spreads across my face. I can’t go down alone. I lost everything and I am willing to serve my time.  But I am going down with everyone.
I am walked back into my cell. I am just waiting for the verdict to be ceased. My kids will always be my kids. They grew up in front of my eyes. I love them and always will do. Hope one day they will understand as to why daddy did what he did.

MANQOBA

“All clear.” Impiyakhe shouts through the mutual aid radio system.  I am standing outside the gate ready to play. It’s a bit tough today. Manqoba is not in sight – hope this works out for the best.
“Copy that.” I say and tuck the radio underneath my armpit. I jump the fence and make sure that I don’t land painfully on the ground. I remove the aid radio under my armpit and hold it by hand. With me being here – the diamonds will be transported from this warehouse to God knows where. Impiyakhe has a man inside feeding him with all the information. He is living a double life and we are aware of it. He plays his card quite right. Ngcobo believed that he had him by his ball – little did he know that it was the way of us having each and every detail of his skeleton he stored. It came as a shocker when he knew I was the master mind behind the arrest. It’s the payback of landing my friend at the hospital. At least he now knows everything, and he is not in the dark. His heart must be pumping rage in his home cell. The evidence we have will put him in jail for a lifetime.
“Left.” Impiyakhe informs me. It’s an easy job. I will be taking the diamonds stach them in a safe place and heading out. I walk along the narrow path – it’s dark. Reaching the sliding door, it’s slightly open which is very odd.  These guys never leaved their warehouse unattended. My blood rate drops and I sense something is not right at all.
“Get out of there!” Impiyakhe shout. I try taking steps back carefully not to make noise but I am already outnumbered. 
“Well, well, well. Look what we have here.” Officer Mlambo says with a smirk on his face. I have no way to run, no way to turn to. I drop my gun on the floor and my mind travels to Khanyi. I told her that I will be leaving this life. This was meant to be my last job. 
“Let’s go to your home. Where you belong.” 
The bag on my back is being roughly pulled. Unlicensed guns fall off. The radio aid on my hand falls too. I know I am screwed and fucked up. I let them cuff me. What will Khanyi be?