Chapter 12-How to get to Tartarus 101

Start from the beginning

"So...we're in the underworld..." Grover starts, "What now?"

"We find a hole! Like the one that Percy and Annabitch fell into!" Clarisse declares.

"It's not that easy," I try to explain. "The hole needs to be above a river, otherwise we'll die because I can't cushion our fall. And we need to not go too close to my uncle's castle. If he finds out that we are here...game over."

"What if we try and find that hole that I nearly fell into on our first quest?" Grover suggests.

"That...might just work!" I exclaim, "Grover, you're a genius!" He waves his hand, dismissing the complement. "Nah, it was nothing."

"I hate to interrupt this moment, but where is it?" Clarisse asks. Oops. Right, she wasn't there on the first quest.

"It's near Hades' castle, so we need to be careful. The furies are going to be on lookout, and can pick us off the ground easily." I warn them. "We need a plan if we are going to attempt to get close to the castle."

⏰ ⏭️ 

Grover creeps towards Cerberus, who is eyeing him as if he's his next snack. Grover whips out his  pipes, and plays a lulling tune. Cerberus tilts his head at the tune, intrigued by it, but his fascination doesn't last long. His eyes soon start to close, and he falls to the ground with a loud 'Thump!' Grover continues the tune, and Clarisse and I come out of our hiding places, and we quickly run past the huge, three headed Rottweiler. Grover immediately sprints away once we have, ending his little performance.

Once we are past Cerberus, the Fields of Asphodel come into sight. The huge, gloomy wheat field, filled with thousands of souls. We push our way through them, trying to ignore the sad fact that they seem frustrated that we can't understand them. We past Elysium, where I hear laughter and familiar voices.

Then, before I know it, Hades' castle looms over us. I glance at Grover, nodding. He sniffs the air, then points to the left of the castle. We make our way over there, going down the steep slope. The cave that I had visited so long ago comes into view, just about 200 yards away, when I hear a yelp from Grover. 

"It's Mrs Dodds! Run!" He shouts as the demon triplet math teachers swoop at us, trying to pick us up.

We scramble to the cave, sprinting as fast as we can. "I've got you now, Perseus!" Alecto screeches. She dive at me, coming at me fast. I try my best to pick up the pace, but it's no use. I brace myself. At the last second, someone pushes me forward, forcing me to roll before standing back up.

"You fucking oversized bat!" Clarisse screams, trying to reach for her spear while hitting my ex-algebra teacher. "Let go of me!"

Alecto's sister circles Grover, and the other tries to have a go at me. I whip out Riptide, uncapping her and slashing at the monster as it tries to grasp me in its feet. They screech, dissolving into dust. I run over to Grover, who is attempting to swipe at the fury with his knife. As she dives toward him, I stab her from behind, instantly turning her into golden dust.

"Die you stupid monster! DIE DIE DIE!" Clarisse repeatedly tries to stab the flailing fury, while being dragged around in the air. She finally lands a hit, allowing the monster to disintegrate. She falls to the ground, landing with an 'oomph!' 

She groans, sitting up. "That...was horrible."

"Agreed," I say, "But we need to get out of here. The cave is right there. Let's go!"

Grover helps Clarisse up, and we all jog to the cave, going deeper and deeper before we come to a huge hole in the ground. "This is it," Grover confirms.

I glance at my two quest mates. "Ready?"

"Let's do this!" Clarisse grins.

"I'm going to regret this, but yes," Grover mumbles.

"Hold hands," I instruct them, "And don't let go. The last thing we want is to be down there, and to be separated. The fall will take forever, so try and rest. It'll probably be your last good sleep before you go into that hell hole."

I take a deep breath. "Three."

Clarisse glances behind her, as if she's taking in all she can see before she jumps, then looks back at the hole. "Two."

Grover fiddles with his shirt. "One."

We jump.

Hello! I know...it's long overdue for an update! Hehe...that's on me...whoops... I've just had my school holidays, and so I decided to take a break from writing. Sadly, I've only got one more day (and a whole lot of homework to be done.)

Anyway, remember to:

Sleep 

Read

Eat

Vote

Share

Stay safe!

- Laurel