Chapter Nine

Sarah returned to the dance floor, looking pissed. Cece knew that Topper and her must've fought, Cece didn't bring it up and danced with Sarah and Wheezie instead. The dancing and party stopped due to commotion. Cece pulled Sarah closer into the dining area. "Let him go!" Kiara was yelling at security that was dragging JJ away from the party. Her parents trying to shush her. "He's my guest! I invited him!" JJ downs someone's drink, causing Rafe to laugh. The guy who was holding JJ let him go. John B and JJ met up, they saluted each other then called out to Pope, then Kiara. The two ran toward them. The four ran away from the party, parents of Kiara and Pope yelling for them to come back. The only thing Cece and Sarah could do was stare. Cece saw a group of friends who didn't care about status only adventure. Cece was tempted to run after them. She understood Sarah. She understood why Sarah spent the day with John B, Sarah did what most can't. Leave the bubble wrap. She only left for a day, but she had fun. Cece was jealous, she longed to leave the bubble wrap, but knew she couldn't. Yes, the bubble wrap would more than likely turn her into a thirty year old alcoholic with two kids and a divorce, but it was safe. But in that moment, watching the Pogues crash a party and run away with no repercussions, convinced Cece that being a Kook wasn't as fun.

~

"Are you sure you want me to stay here?" Cece sat in the car looking at Sarah. Sarah nodded and got out of the car. Sarah promised she would meet up with John B to talk about something. Cece watched as Sarah disappeared in to the darkness. She was anxious, she didn't quite believe that the gold was real, but she did believe that the Pogues thought it was. Cece was half asleep when she saw a pair of head lights. she heard a car door open and close and footsteps going passed her vehicle. Cece looks out her window and sees Topper walking in the direction of Sarah and John B. She unbuckles herself and gets out of the car fast, "Hey Topper! What are you doing here?"

He stops and looks at her, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm just chilling. The party was fun but overwhelming so, you know," She puts her arm around his shoulder and tried to steer him away from where Sarah is, "I just wanted to chill. But you coming here made me think, maybe I should go home!"

She walks with him back to the cars but he turns around, "You can but I need to talk to Sarah."

She stops, "Who said Sarah was here?" He held up his phone, which showed Sarah's location. "Shit," she whispers and Topper scoffs walking away. "Topper wait!" Cece runs after her cousin.

"So you are cheating on me," Cece heard from afar. She tried to catch up but when she reached them Topper and John B were already fighting.

"Not again! Guys stop!" Cece yells at the boys but they don't stop. Sarah yells at them as well, but the screams have no impact. The two get closer to Sarah and Cece yanks her out of the way, "Move, Sarah." Topper shoves John B and everyone goes silent. John B falls over the edge and off the cliff.

Sarah gasps, covering her mouth, Cece's eyes widen, and Topper looks at the girls, "I-I-I-I didn't. I didn't push him. He-He-He fell, okay? 'Cause I wouldn't ever push anyone. I'm not a murderer." Sarah ran off, Cece stayed, "I'm a good guy, C. I am."

Cece looked up at him in disgust, "Just go home." She ran after Sarah and watched as she caressed John B's head. Kiara was standing there and soon Pope and JJ. Sarah was in tears, while Cece grabbed her phone and dialed 911.

~

"He'll be fine, I'm sure." Cece sat in a chair in the lobby of the hospital. Sarah and her father were in the room with John B talking about legal issues, while the Pogues and Cece were waiting for any kind of news.

"Why did he lie?" Kiara was the first to speak. "He knew how much I don't like her and he still went to be with her."

There was silence again. It felt almost more comfortable than the sound of voices. "She lied to me too," Cece sighed looking at JJ. He moved his eyes off of her, walking away from her toward Pope.

Silence. It felt like every time one of them talked there was more silence in between. "Topper crossed the line." Pope finally spoke.

Cece nodded, "I know, I didn't know that he would get so mad. I didn't think he could ever push someone over the edge, literally."

"No," Pope stood up, "not today. He crossed the line at the beach that night. He's been over the line the whole summer and no one stopped him. We tried but he only got worse. You need to control your cousin." Silence. Cece had never heard Pope speak so seriously. He walked out of the hospital, Kiara and JJ following. Cece just sat there staring at the people walking by.