Part 14 - At last

Stevie couldn't sleep, all she could think about was her baby - her baby and Cathryn, wishing that there could have been something that could have been done to keep her from dying. Cathryn was so young, in her twenties, had so much left to give and it was all too much for Stevie to know that because of her wanting a baby, that this young woman's life was taken too soon. There was no way that Stevie would ever forget her, hoping that she could have a photo of her surrogate to hang in the nursery as a tribute.

It was going on three in the morning and Stevie just tossed and turned, looking over at the empty side of her bed as she remembered Lindsey laying there days

beforehand. The desire and need for him was incredibly strong and she wondered if he felt the same. Would he be awake? Would he answer her if she sent him a text?

Not able to control herself any longer, Stevie sent him a quick text asking if he was awake. It didn't take long for him to answer, telling her that he was indeed

awake and had a huge fight with his wife, could see a seperation or divorce on the horizon. He admitted that he slipped and said that he fathered the baby, that THAT was why it took him so long to come back home - he had a responsibility to be there for her and the newborn. Stevie could feel her heart pounding, feeling happy and horrible at the same time. Lindsey texted that it wasn't her fault and that it was all his doing, telling her that he would be at her place again around noon, hoping that she would be awake. There was no way that he would forget their plans to gather things for the nursery and visit Barbara.

Morning came quick, Stevie threw an arm over her eyes as she heard the birds chirping, she decided to get up and grab herself a cup of coffee, knew that Karen would be up by now. She could smell the coffee brewing as she opened her bedroom door, greeting Karen and then sipping away at the warm liquid in her personal cup. She looked like a Zombie as she trailed across the kitchen to sit down at the table.

"You are up rather early," Karen implied.

"I couldn't sleep...Literally got maybe three hours in," Stevie placed her head on the table.

"You're excited about the baby, I don't blame you," Karen took her boss's hand, "I can't wait to meet her."

Smiling, Stevie sat back up again, "She's so beautiful even though I know she'll change as she improves. She's in this tiny cot as an incubator and helping her breathe and keep warm, she's incredible, Karen. I can tell already that her face will resemble Lindsey."

"I've seen Lindsey go through this complete transformation with you... Has he mentioned a divorce?"

"Yes. Seperation or divorce on the horizon, so he described it early this morning. Neither of us could sleep, he fought with Kristen terribly. He was told to sleep downstairs on the couch. I don't think she'll forgive him for this one...Not that I am disappointed that she won't."

"You deserve each other, it's time," Karen smiled.

"Thank you," Stevie squeezed her assistant's hand, "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attempt to get ready for the day. Lindsey is going to take me shopping for the nursery and check on Barbara at the hospital."

"Is there any way that I could tag along? I would love to see her," Karen asked.

"Oh I don't see why not," Stevie winked and left the kitchen to get ready.

Noon came fast and Lindsey was greeted at the door by Karen, telling him that Stevie was still getting ready, he headed to her bedroom and knocked on the door. He held a bouquet of pink roses for her with a balloon that said, "It's a girl," she gasped when she opened the door and saw him standing there.