Part 5 - My secret

His face dropped, her eyes popped, and the extreme surprise that just came from Stevie's mouth had them both on edge but in different ways.

"Y-you're what?" Lindsey asked, knowing all too well that he was the father of this miracle baby, "T-they called you? J-just now?"

Stevie nodded, her hands gripping at her sides, playing with her long black blouse, "Yes, right after I got off the phone with Karen."

Lindsey desperately wanted to take Stevie in to his arms, kiss her, tell her how happy he was for her but with Kristen being there...that would look awfully suspicious.

"Well, congratulations, Stevie, are you going to be raising this baby on your own?" Kristen held on to Lindsey's arm, rubbing it, claiming him.

The happiness in her heart was all that she felt, she was NOT going to let Kristen ruin this for her, she's wanted a baby all her life and she was finally getting one.

"Yes, Kristen, I am going to be raising this baby on my own with the help of Karen and a few friends. I'll have people in my life, including my niece that can help raise and guide them when I'm gone. I'm fully aware of how old I am."

Talking about her dying one day did not sit well with Lindsey, he fidgeted while trying so hard not to hold her, touch her, caress her - what was happening to him? He's always loved her, been in love, wanted a love with her all his life and they went from arguing to resentment to complete companionship that no one could take away. What was it about her that drove him this crazy? This insane? For God's sake, he just concieved a child with his ex girlfriend! Lindsey knew all too well that this could end in a disaster but for some reason he was willing to risk it, to do whatever he could to make the woman standing in front of him happier than she's ever been.

"I'm glad that you won't be raising a child on your own, I know how hard it was with our children when they would wake us up in the middle of the night - trying to feed a baby while you're half asleep was one of the hardest tasks I've ever known. Of course you won't be breast feeding so it should be some what easier for you," Kristen implied.

Lindsey shot Kristen a glare with out her noticing and stared at Stevie adoringly, they had so much to talk about now, and it was the biggest secret they'd ever hold.

"Well, I need to get going. I'll be meeting the surrogate tomorrow and I'd like to get her a thank you card and just something for starting this journey with me," Stevie said as she began to leave the kitchen, "Thank you for dinner."

This journey? She was starting a journey? A journey with out him.

"Stevie!" Lindsey yelled as he ran down the steps of his porch to reach Stevie before she could enter the car, "I couldn't let you leave with out telling you...Congratulations, angel," he hugged her tight, rubbing her back, feeling her, "You'll be the most incredible mother."

Her grip on him was strong, tight, not wanting to let go, just taking in the feeling of him wrapped around her, "Thank you...Thank you so much, you don't even know what this means to me."

"Oh, but I do," Lindsey pulled away to rest a hand on her face, running it over the back of her head, "And you're welcome."

"I'll keep you updated," Stevie gave him a small kiss and sat down, feeling as if she was leaving too soon, as if he had more he needed to say.

"Please do, please keep me updated. I'd like to know what's going on since you know," he mentioned but didn't want to be too obvious.

"She knows, Lindsey. It's only the three of us."

"I know, just still want to get in the habit of not talking about it so freely, you know?"

"Gosh, you guys are going to make this one hell of an experience..." Karen chimed in, "I swear you're the most bipolar people that I've ever met in my entire life. I sure as hell hope your child isn't. I'd hate to be around it's tantrums."