Chapter Eleven•Over and Out

Start from the beginning

She walked over to her window and threw open the curtains, revealing Dave standing outside.

"Come down here!" He called.

She didn't even hesitate, and slipped out of her front door with ease.

"How shall we spend my last night in town?" Dave asked as they walked towards his house.

"I don't have any ideas, do you?" She asked. Just by the twinkle in his eye, she could tell he was up to something.

"Get in and I'll show you." He said, opening his car door.

They began to drive, and Eliza was yet again left at the mercy of Dave and his surprises.

Eventually, they came upon a forest clearing that was familiar to Eliza.

"Recognize this place?" Dave asked, putting the car in park.

"Where we shared our first night together. Where you brought me after you found me in that restaurant."

"Right on, sweetheart. Now come on, we've only got the night."

"Don't remind me." She said as she got out of the car.

She stood and watched as Dave set down the blankets and prepared the fire just as he had that first night. Once he was done, she took a seat next to him by the crackling fire.

"I don't know how I'm gonna live without hearing your voice every single day." Dave said, twirling a piece of Eliza's blonde hair around his fingers.

"Phones exist, you know." She said, laughing.

"No no no. That's just not the same. I can't see the way your eyes light up when you laugh over the phone. I can't touch you over the phone." He said, tracing her face with his finger tips.

"It's only for a few months, we will be fine." She assured him.

"I hope so."

They sat there for what felt like hours, intertwined, watching the world go by.

Eliza looked up at Dave when she heard what sounded like a sniffle escape from his nose.

"Oh Dave, come here." She said, cradling his face into her neck.

"I love you, Eliza. I love every single goddamn piece of you. I'm scared to live without you."

She shushed him as she scratched his back. "We can talk all of the time, I promise. I have two weeks off of school in December, and I'll book a flight to wherever you are. It won't be that bad Dave, I promise."

He nodded, but she held him there longer to make sure he was ok. Sure, she was devastated that they had to be separated, she was just shoving down her emotions as far down as they could possibly go.

They sat together by the heat of the fire until nearly four in the morning. Both were scared to leave, because they knew when the morning came that Dave was going to have to board a plane headed to Europe. Dave had fallen asleep, but Eliza sat awake. She wanted to soak in the sound of his soft breathing and the feeling of his heart beating against her leg as long as she possibly could, knowing it might be a long time until she could experience it again.

When Eliza could see the sun peeking out from behind the tall forest trees, she knew it was time to leave. She patted Dave's back until he awoke, and they both knew that their night was over. They silently packed up their camp and headed back towards their houses.

Dave dropped Eliza back off in her driveway, for he still had about five hours before he needed to leave. She crept back into her room, and read a book for the next few hours.