~monaco babyyy~

"Monaco babyyy"
"oh shush Ollie"
"alright just cause your not a morning person"
The pair had arrived in monaco ahead of the race weekend. This would be millie's first full weekend as a formula 2 driver and to say she was nervous was an understatement.
They walked into the support series paddock, which was a bit away from the f1 paddock due to the lack of space in monaco. Walking into prema they were greeted with many hellos and pats on the back from the team. She felt at home and started to feel more confident.

They spent some time with Dino, Paul and Jak before they had to head out to track for their FP1 session. Ollie and Millie went to warm up and get their race suits on in preparation for their session.

They drove their cars down to the main pitlane and parked up. They had a gap where they got out of the car and spoke to each other.
"Let's get some good lap times to start the weekend off right" ollie said to her
she nodded and gave him a fist bump before they both went to get in their cars.

FP1 results:
M.Norris- P9
O.Bearman-P20

Back in the garage, ollie came up to her.
"so remember me saying let's get some good lap times...."
they both giggled.
"we will come back in quali" she replied as he sling his arm round her shoulder.

Due to the size of the track, the grid was split into two groups for qualifying. Group 1 had the even numbered drivers, with group 2 havung the odd numbers. Due to this, Ollie was in group 1 as his car is number 8 and Millie was in group 2 due to driving the number 7 car. She was stood in the pitlane as the drivers went out for the first session.
"hola millie"
she turned around
"oh, hola fernando"
"your in group 2 i assume?"
"yep, gonna see what ollie's feedback is. might help me a bit in the corners"
"a bit of advice, the swimming pool chicane can be done almost flat out, you just need to lift for a split second in the middle to get it just right. you won't clip the wall but you need to get ever so close to it. be fearless"
"it's kinda hard to be fearless when i've never driven around monaco before and i've never done a formula 2 quali session"
"you drove in formula 3 yes?"
"yeah why?"
"it's the same concept, just faster. and don't say you cant do it because i've seen what you can do in this car. you've impressed me"
"well i'll take that from a 2 time formula 1 world champ. doesn't change the fact i'm nervous. one mistake and i'm in the wall"

fernando stood with her as they watched group 1. he talked her through his tips and tricks for every corner and where he thinks it's better to take risks to get an extra tenth or not. When she saw the cars pulling into the pits from group 1, she knew it was time for her to head out. some cars had already driven to the pit exit.
"right this is my time"
fernando put a hand in her shoulder "go show everyone why millie norris will be a world champion"
"thanks fernando"
"good luck millie"
and with that she got into her car and put her helmet on before driving out.

She put in a few good lap times, getting herself up to P5 in her group. Her radio started.
"ok millie, when you cross the line this will be your final lap. let's make it count"
"copy"

she crossed the line and kept her foot flat through the straight. she lifted and hit the breaks just enough to give her the momentum to swing her car round into turn 1. She glided her car up the winding road of the hill and round the corners down into the hairpin, the slowest corner of the track. she hit the breaking point beautifully to enable herself the best racing line and an amazing exit out and down through the casino tunnel. she came out the other side, blinded by the light, and swerved her car round the chicane. now for the swimming pool section. she didn't just as fernando said, and lifted through the chicane, just kissing the walls in her way through to allow her to cut time off her lap. as she made her way through the final through corners and down the straight, she heard her radio again.
"millie?"
"ollie? what the fuck"
"your top of your group!"
"oh my god no way!! what about overall"
"they are checking now. hold tight love"
she felt butterflies through her stomach at the nickname he gave her, but chose to ignore it as she slowly brought the car round the track, waving at some fans as she went.
Ollie came back on the radio.
"okay mil, top of my group was Victor Martins with a 1:21.231"
"ok and what was my time?"
"you did a 1:21.053!! THATS POLE POSITION IN MONACO!"
"AY AY AYYYY. LETS GO TEAM! Pole position in monaco. my oh my what a story that is"
"i'm so proud of you mil. bring the car in i need a hug"
she giggled at his comment and she drove the car into the pitlane. She parked up and hopped out of her car, but before she could even take her helmet off, ollie tan up to her and gave her the biggest hug ever.
"i'm so proud of you mil"
"thanks ol. where did you qualify?"
"16th" he said as his face fell
"don't worry, you just need to work twice as hard tomorrow and sunday"
"yeah your right"