Chapter 70: Johns Media Stakeholders' Meeting

Start from the beginning

"Ethan! Don't you know how much I've given up to take on this path to stardom? Now that I'm finally here, you want me to give up? Why should I give up? You don't understand how important it is to me just like how the Martinez Corporation is important to you. I've persisted till now. I really don't want to give up... I don't want to see all my years of hard work be destroyed just like that! I'm begging you; I'm begging you, okay, Ethan? I really need you to be marching on with me..."

As she said this, Victoria was suddenly tearful. Her voice had also become raspy from her crying and her fingers on the hand that held onto Ethan turned slightly pale.

"I know that this time, it was my carelessness, but I can guarantee you that I really wasn't intentional. I've never thought about threatening Sister even if she treats me this cruelly. I've never blamed her. I'm begging you to not tell me to give up. I'm really afraid that I won't be able to hold on alone. I really need you, Ethan... Don't be mad at me, okay?"

Teardrops started to fall, making her beautiful face appear pitiful with the glistening tears. Even if she seemed like she tried her best to hold them back, but she could not seem to stop the surge of tears.

She could no longer resist and leaned into his arms as her hot tears instantly soaked the front of his shirt. Momentarily dazed, he looked down at Victoria who was hugging him sadly. Her hands around his waist seemed as if she was clutching onto life-saving straws; it was that tight.

Quite a while after that, he finally sighed disappointed and worriedly lifted a hand to hug her by the shoulders before consoling,

"I've always let you be. When can you accommodate me in return? Victoria, I can be tired too. This thing has already made Grandfather and our parents a little upset. If we don't quickly think of a way to calm things down, it'll be bad for everyone."

Victoria wiped away her tears and sniffed with reddened eyes.

"I know, but... who would've thought that the document would go through so quickly? Initially, Mother went looking for my uncles to see if they could retract it, but unexpectedly, Sister... She... Why did she do this to me? Did I not compensate her enough?"

When Arya was mentioned, Ethan's eyes shifted in a turmoil. The scene by the South River earlier that day started to flash in his mind again, her words echoing in his ear.

"As for Arya's matter, can't we just let it pass? Whether or not she forgives us wouldn't really affect our lives just like the years we spent abroad. Didn't everyone live in harmony? Is there something you can't let go of right now?"

As if he was a little worn out, Ethan's tone sounded quite frustrated and helpless.

"It's not me who won't let go right now. It's she who won't let go of me. She wants to take revenge on Mother and me. All these years, she's been resentful of my mother and me for taking away what was originally hers! I'm also the daughter of the Johns family and Father's daughter too, aren't I?"

Victoria took in a deep breath and blinked her moist eyes. She continued,

"As for Sister, I've always respected her. If she forces me to my wits' end, I wouldn't... wouldn't..."

Victoria did not continue after that, but from her eyes, Ethan could understand what she was trying to say.

"If taking a step back can resolve this quarrel and grudge, then take a step back, Victoria," Ethan softly said, then he slowly let go and suddenly turned to walk into the study room.

The scandal did not die down. Instead, it was gaining more and more traction.

The media started reporting it.