"...I just... I wasn't ready..."

"Will you ever be?" Medrauta's reply came sharper than she'd intended. She turned to face Viviane at last, expecting to apologize as the noblewoman would inevitably burst into tears.

Instead, she found herself face to face with a shy smile and the luminous golden eyes that she loved. Her heart leapt at the sight, threatening to burst from her tender chest.

"...Yes. I can promise you that, at the very least."

Medrauta couldn't help it anymore. Her expression softened, and she pulled Viviane's arm closer to her. "When?"

"Truthfully, I don't know. We're both girls, and you know how it is in the empire... Plus, there's the matter of my father." Viviane's answer was tinged with disappointment and melancholic longing, the forlorn tone only serving to tug at Medrauta's heartstrings even harder.

"We can simply make our vows in Higashi," Medrauta said. "I heard from Sir Riku that they're a lot more open to this sort of thing there."

"M-Medrauta! We're citizens of the empire! You can't just suggest something like that!" Despite her words, Viviane's heart skipped a beat at Medrauta's proposal. She'd certainly considered the same thing when Sakura made her offer.

"The only empire I need is the one where I can be with you."

Viviane blushed tremendously, and she wasn't the only one to do so. A few of the nearby noblewomen who had been stealthily following the conversation quickly unfurled their hand fans, shielding their flushed faces.

"Feeling treasonous today, are we?"

Medrauta scowled as she turned to face the woman who had inserted herself into the conversation. "Gwenhwyfar."

As usual, the princess wore an extremely lavish outfit adorned with countless gems and decorative pieces. It looked like this time, her attire was themed around a rose, and her bright red dress coupled with brilliant green gemstones interspersed along the fabric certainly contributed to the look.

"Oh my! Is that any way to greet an old friend, and the princess no less?" Gwenhwyfar smirked, extending her hand toward Medrauta with her palm facing down.

Deliberately misunderstanding the gesture, Medrauta took the princess' hand and gave it a firm shake, causing Gwenhwyfar to click her tongue in annoyance.

"How do you do, Your Imperial Highness?" Viviane curtsied.

Gwenhwyfar flinched as if she had been struck. "Oh, don't you start with me too, Lady Viviane! I've wasted the last fifteen minutes greeting nobles in the same monotonous fashion continuously. Absolutely dreadful. It's like they're reading from a textbook."

"Then I have your permission to speak casually?" Viviane asked. There were a lot of eyes on them now that the princess was here, and she thought it'd be better to err on the side of caution.

"Yes, of course."

Viviane curtsied again. "Thank you. In that case, might I ask the whereabouts of your brother? I believe Medrauta expressed interest in speaking with Prince Galahad."

Gwenhwyfar waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. "I have absolutely no idea. That brother of mine was supposed to be my partner for the gala, but he was dragged away by some girls and I haven't seen him since."

"Seriously?" Medrauta laughed. "And here I'd been worried about him after what happened in the match."

"I suppose he'll reveal himself eventually. By the way, I was told that a knight by the name of Amelia Irvine was supposed to be in attendance, yet I've not seen her anywhere."

Crest of the Strongest Knightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें