Plans in Action

Adaya pov

Apparently I cannot protect myself, in the war council, I had argued and argued, but most everyone was against me. I wound up not even being able to fight in the battle, I would be escourted our with the other civilians. "your powers, and your bloodline musnt be put in danger." As it had been put by Gretha.

But now, hours before the battle I was walking towards the back exit, 'honor' guard at my sides I felt Luke a prisoner. It was only halfway done on the desighn part. It had a multitude of carvings from horses to creatures of the sea. Each told a new story, and all together, even unfinished told a whole other story. I forgot about my frustrions for the moment as I moved past it. I kept that in my mind all the way until we came to the door on the other side. Then I became infuriated again. But kept it in check as liya was by my side and needed not to see me angry right now. She was still a little skittish around me since I had killed those people.

Yennefer pov

I had never gotten another chance to speak with Adaya. This friend of arunous's had recognised me. He still did not trust Mr but there was no time for that, we could here traps being set off in the woods as the army got closer, fools probably lost at least fifty men from the traps alone by now. Still, a thousand soldiers, a mere fifty was nothing in comparison.

I was set at the defenses directing when to use them. I had been in a war before giving me the most experience. I was the high commander in the Dales serving my queen, I had learned when to use things to get the maximum effect, though we diddnt have such fancy titles, I was simply another leader then though my name was in books now, from what one heard, I will need to read those sometime.

I looked at the soldiers awaiting my orders, holding ropes at the ready.

The army came to the clearing. Lead by a man I did not know, I had hoped it would be the man I ho gave Mr orders but I did not know his name, and I think he was one of the royals or simthing anyway, I'd never meet him in combat.

"Keep ready." I spoke normally. The soldiers varying my orders down the line. I looked down, artunouse was leading the ground defense. That warden next to him. Behind me Gretha gave a short speech to his men. Then they stood at ready.

I could not see Helena, she lead hunters into the woods to flank the order. They would lift the wooden wall behind the army, they would have trouble getting or sending orders this way.

I had convinced The commander to send Adaya away, she would need to be queen one day, she would not be able to fight then either.

The order stopped their March. A man started yelling orders I could not really hear. All my years imprisoned and tortured had hindered that ability it would seem.

Helena pov

"Wait until the get to the wall, then we may lift it." My sister nodded readying to lift it with her magic. "Heran, get the archers ready."

He lifted his hand, the hunters lifted their bows. " We are ready Helena."

I watched as the order readied their charge lifting shields and spears, archers stood behind them awaiting their opening. They marched then began to jog. Then full on Sprint. The first four ranks were killed by my first trap. I smiled. Two hundred at least are in a spike filled pit. They kept their charge appearing unphased. The second trap, the spikes that would protrude from the ground. They had less affect taking around a hundred men still but not what I had hoped. They clashed with warriors in front of the wall. These men were skilled because they held for almost two days. Fifty against eight hundred. It was not a fair fight in numbers, but skill, that more than made up for it. We lifted the wall as a group came our way to get supplies. And killed them all. Only twelve of us in all seemed more than enough. Gretha had hesited sending us at first but gave in, not many would be coming our way, and we had to stay unditected. It worked better this way. Still we had lost those in front of the wall it hurt, but was inevitable. They even accepted their fates I could see it in them as we left for the woods.

Adaya pov

Three days now we sat in this cavern awaiting news from the fort. Last I had heard the front lines had been breached, that means Duncan was most likely dead. Given he was not someone I saught for comfort or council, but I did still love our talks.

I could no longer just sit around and do nothing it as dark and most were asleep. I kissed my sister then made my way towards the exit, I would let no more news come of loss, the next report would have to be victory.

I made it just outside the cave when another voice came to. "I know your not planning to leave me alone here." It was Garen. He was one of my gaurds.

"I need you to watch my sister. I cannot stay cooped up here waiting for news." He walked to my side.

"Singer is with your sister. I am spost to keep you from dying though. I cannot do so if I cant find you."

I needed no protection, but he was a skilled warrior. "fine just don't try to stop me."

"in your guard. Not your keyholder. I go where you do."

And with that we moved towards the fort.