Meeting Kin

Laila pov

We had run into the embrace of the Forrest. For most people it was a place of horror where animals attacked those who strayed too far, and Banshees killed those who lingered too long. But for us who grew up in the beautiful trees and played in clear fresh waters, we called it home, a place where animals were just as free as us and the spirits protected us from the outsiders looking to destroy our way of life.

But now, the stories would not stop the force hunting us, our home invaded we are forced to seek refuge elsewhere, I want so bad to go back though, my father and sister could be dying while I run. Whether it is to protect the people or not I felt I was abandoning them. But it was too late for that now it has been two days since we ran. If they did not survive then I could do nothing, if they had then they would find us.

"Haren." I looked to my brother walking beside me. "do you think father and Helena made it out?" He looked to the ground.

"Lai, no one who stayed behind survived, there were too many." His loss of hope for our family slightly angered me.

"Helena and father were leading them. Father was one of the generals in the elven armies of old and Helena is one of the smartest people I know. Do you not beileive there's a chance they survived?"

"That belief will only lead to more heartache my sweet sister, you need to accept what has happened and move on." His face was as blank as a rock making me believe he was grieving. I slapped him.

"why do you always assume the worst! You May not believe we are capable, but I do, and if you ever tell me to drop hope again I will leave!"

"Lai-" he reached for me. But I pushed his hands aside and fell back to the end of the group. One of the hunters eyed me warily not sure if he should speak or not.

"You do not have to say anything." I could see he did not agree but he looked ahead anyway.

An hour later we were ordered to stop. Instantly we moved to positions to defend our people while the defensless crouched, hiding as much as possible. I moved back to the front.

"there are patrols by that wall." Haren pointed out across a clearing. Sure enough, guards patrolled near a large wall. A castle or fort lay beyond.

"we can move around them. Let's fall back a bit and make camp though, these people are tired." I motioned to the others they had not stopped for two days now and were dead on their feet.

"Good plan lai." He motioned us back we walked a bit longer then set camp.

Adaya pov

Gretha looked annoyed sitting on my couch as I collected a few viles to send with him. "you going to live, the least you could do is look happy about it." He put on a fake smile. I handed him the viles and he rose.

"I am happy to be alive I'm not however happy that I am being kept from my job."

"You could've done you job, I wouldn't have stopped you. But you would be dead now if you had." He sighed and moved to the door, thanking me again as he left.

Finally. I dressed in some light armour. It's time for some exploration.

I stopped by the old woman's house and picked up my sister she was mad at me but became a happy camper when I handed her a bow and said we were going hunting. She was not me. I almost cry every time I get a kill. It feels like I can feel them dying. But liya loves hunting, she revels in the feel of an arrow being realeased from her grasp.

We exited the wall an almost instantly I saw something moving across the clearing so I took my sister that way. It was stupid, going straight for it but I felt this pull telling Me I would find something this way.

" there." Liya whispered pointing to an excetionally large boar. They were not very good eating but I gave liya the go ahead anyway. She drew the arrow skillfully and aimed at the animal. This part I can never watch, so I found a lot of interest in my he based of a tree. I heard the arrow release, felt the kill. It was quick, painless. I lifted my gaze to the now dead animal. She hit it perfectly in the back of the head severing the little cord where the brain tells the body to live. It was a good kill. We moved to the animal and I watched as she gutted the animal on the spot. This would help it stay fresh longer, I pulled out my rope and tied it to the legs of the animal.

" This was a good kill Liya, Good job." I smiled at her, the other part she loved was when I commented on her skill.

"Can you make me a coat with the hide? Mines too small now." I looked at her body she had grown she was still very thin but she was getting taller.

"well of course. But you going to help me this time." I could feel the joy falling off her now.

The snap of a twig had my bow drawn and aiming at a new face. A boy, probably twenty looking at his face, I gasped though when I saw his ears, he was a wood elf. I heard another to my left then to my right. Is there a caravan nearby? I had quickly lost control of the situation surrounded by my own race, I thought I'd be happy if I ever saw one and I was but at the same time I was scared, what if they are as the city people believed and killed anyone who ventured too close. What if they were here to attack the fort as the woman with the poison did. I knew I was judging too quickly so I lowered my bow.

"Adalai sister, is your caravan close by?" The first man spoke seeming to be the leader of the group.

"i have no caravan. They died long ago." I don't know why I trusted them so easily, maybe because they're the same race, but I felt I should not lie to these people.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ok so I just got this cool new cover for my book (thank you, beyondwriting01)(Rift trials Are was 18 when PR hit. And , through a tragic turn if events she and select others must travel through the portal in hopes of stopping it. She was one of the many chosen by secret agencies for the rift trials.) (That's written by beyondwriting01 check it out, it will be in my reading list after I do.) and I also found out that not all comments show up, so if you commented and I did not reply then I am very sorry but I did not see it. Also I would like to thank everyone who has been votin on my story. It really helps me on the motivation part plus, I can't explain it but I get excited when I get votes too.