Little Rose

Another 2 months have zoomed by. Zoey's packing to go to her community college full time as they had off campus housing for STEM students. She FaceTimed Auntie, watching her bawl uncontrollably at how much she'd grown.

"Pack condoms ZoZo!" She cried. Zoey winced in disgust.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding, Auntie," she retched.

"I just want you to be safe!"

"I don't even like people."

"Please!"

She rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'll grab some from Luca's room."

In the living room, Luca was on the game with his friends. Playing some shooting game I couldn't even make out. It was how he spent majority of his time nowadays. He wasn't as good with school as Zoey, much like I was, and preferred to go to trade school later in the year. As long as he was safe and happy, I didn't care. It's not like we needed money.

It was mindblowing to say that so comfortably just now.

And the one panicking while running around the room, mumbling to herself about Baby Shower plans?

That was my Amy.

She whipped around with her planner, dropping papers and various small items around the house, only to drop them again when I handed them to her. I felt like a vacuum.

"Red is way too aggressive but like it makes sense because of Red Bull? But then you don't wanna go too soft because then it doesn't match Mixie's personality? Okay so what about a neutral green or purple is there any gangs that are green or purple? Wait so what about blue for the Wolves AY DIO NO CAUSE THEN THAT MEANS IT'S A BOY! MIERDA!"

"Amy," I pulled her by her hip. It was the only thing that could bring her out of her trance when she got this way. She blushed, her eyes wide. She dropped her things, again, as she turned to me. My belly unfortunately made this more awkward than intimate, but it still caught her attention. "This doesn't have to be some fancy event."

She gave me the look. The are you fucking kidding look that made me instantly eat my words. "You're a fucking celebrity! Literally! Like, do you know how many people are paying just to get in here to see you?!" I stood there in silence. "Half the fucking town's gonna be there and it's your BIRTHDAY you looney bin!"

"How did this even happen?" She pointed to the couch and I immediately knew the answer. He was hiding. "Luca motherfucking Moxelle,"

"Eh-heh..." He spoke fast, hoping that I didn't catch the full sentence,  "Imayhave accidentally letitsliptomyfriendsthatyouwerepregnantandtheyofferedtopaytocomeseeyourbabyshowerIcouldntsaynolike?"

"What?!"

"They paid in cash while I was going to prom and I spent it already! My fault okay? I thought you already had something planned back then."

I had no choice but to smack his blockheaded ass upside his head. "OW! You know, all the abuse you and Zoey put me through is why I'm stupid now!"

"No," Zoey finally finished packing, coming out of her room, "You've always been stupid."

"You just never miss an opportunity to tear a brotha down, huh?"

She placed her hands on her hips and smiled coyly, "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Amy's phone alarm went off and she swept herself right back into a panic. Immediately, she requested Zoey to help me get dressed, and for Luca to help her transport items to the car. As frantic as we were, we were a team when we needed to be. Zoey, who makes eyeliner so straight it could slice paper, took a look back for a moment, sort of... observing. I watched her watch me.

"Something up?"

She shook her head. "You look good." She replied, simply. She titled my head to the camera. "Stand up."

I couldn't believe it.

"You look like Mom."

I froze in the mirror. I rechecked over and over again and it was true... I looked exactly like her when she was pregnant with the twins. Glowing, long, beautiful curls. Toned figure and prominent belly. Glowing skin. Plump, natural lips. Distinguished almond eyes. I thought back to my dream and immediately understood why my mom was so happy for me then. She saw... herself.

I was a little Rose that had bloomed in a concrete garden from the wilted petals my mom had left behind.