-----------

"I can take Kim home" Malcolm graciously offers as we approach the parking lot.
"Are you sure? I thought you wanted to go to the party" he shakes his head at my question, glancing down at the smiling girl in his arms.
"She's more important" he smiles softly down at her and I can't help but smile myself.
"Okay but I think her mom might kill her if she sees her like this so it might be best if they both went to your house or my house" Kim's mom is old fashioned and strict whereas Malcolm and Mal's parents are never home and I don't really have parents. So our houses are the best option.

"They can go to my house, I'll move the party somewhere else" I nod unlocking my car so Gracie can get inside.
"Are you coming with us?" I turn to Aidan who is buckling Mal into one of my backseats.
"I just want to make sure she's okay" he admits.
"Of course" he climbs in beside Mal while I get into the drivers seat, Malcolm will drive himself and Kim home.

"Did you stay up all night again?" Gracie tentatively whispers to me, wary of the passengers occupying the backseats.
"I'm okay" I assure her by avoiding the question because I know she worries, a lot.
"That's not what I asked Iris" I huff keeping my gaze trained on the roads in front of me.
"Yes but I'm fine I had a nap this morning and I've got a detention to prove it" she rolls her eyes but a smile teases her lips.

"It's not healthy" she scolds me.
"It rarely happens" I defend my lack of sleep even though it's lies, if I see my dad drink i can rarely sleep for more than two hours. My brain just goes on defensive mode and I know that if I'm asleep I can't protect the girls. One time I slept the whole night and he broke down Ava's door but passed out in the doorway, thank god. He didn't touch her but my mind is constantly panicking because he was so close.

Soon enough I pull onto my driveway and Gracie drops the subject of sleep much to my relief.
"I've got her" Aidan announces as he wraps her arm over his shoulder and carries her limp body.
"Do you want to go inside and I'll be there in a minute?" Gracie nods taking my key and as she lets herself inside I catch up to Aidan and Mal.

"Iris! Iris are you there" she slurs and mumbles at the same time while making grabby hand gestures in my direction. "I'm here Mal" she smiles eyes still screwed shut.
"I love you Iris but he stinks" she raises her hand to point at Aidan before dropping it back down again, hitting him on the head as a result.
"I love you too babe and he does stink, all footballers stink" I smirk up at Aidan who's jaw drops.

"Hey what are you ganging up on me for?"
"Shush smelly man" I barely contain my laugh as Mal shoves Aidans face away from her with the palm of her hand. The distance she puts between them causes her to wobble and fall against me.
"Woah there! come on we are home now" adjusting my grip on her so she's fully supported I let Aidan hold the door open for us both.

"Mmm you smell nice" she takes a long sniff of my neck, smacking her lips together before Aidan takes her again so he can carry her upstairs. I follow behind the pair.

"I'll wait outside" Aidan mutters before exiting the room and shutting the door behind him.
"Are you gonna help me here?" She doesn't respond instead she flops backwards onto her bed.
"I guess not then" I mumble to myself as I search for something to change her into. Once I've found some pyjamas I sit her up, slide them on her before tucking her under the covers and laying her on her side just in case she gets sick. With a kiss pressed to her forehead I leave the room and quietly shut the door behind me.

"You can say goodnight if you want but she's basically passed out" I inform Aidan who debates for a moment, eyes flicking from her door to the floor before he ultimately decides against seeing her.
"No I don't want to disturb her" I nod in understanding before making my way to the bedroom I presume Kim is in because it's the only room with light flooding out from beneath the door.