"Hey, what's up?" he asked.

"Sorry it's such short notice but Grove's school closed early due to a powercut, do you think you could pick him up in the next thirty minutes?" she said, still clearly stressed.

"Yep, sounds possible but I'll have to take the subway, is that alright?" he questioned.

"Yeah, it's all good, just keep an eye on him and make sure he eats," Leafy instructed.

"I got it, he'll be fine, you just try get through your day with one less thing to worry about," Firey reassured.

"Thank you Firey, it really means a lot," she sighed with relief.

"If there's something I can do that'll help, I'll do it," Firey boasted.

"I know and I'm very thankful. I have to go now but bye, I love you!" Leafy said sweetly before hanging up.

"Love you too!"

Leafy put her phone down and glanced at Gelatin who rolled his eyes and sighed in mock disappointment.

"Don't you dare say a thing!" Leafy hissed.

Gelatin put his hands up in defense and simply drank his tea without a word.

...

Firey walked down the street that Grove's school was on, it was pretty with trees lining both sides with gaps on sunlight falling through the leaves.

The gates of the school were tall and rather intimidating for a preschool but thankfully they were open so he didn't have to embarrass himself by trying to open them.

There were lots of parents walking in and out of the gate with their children, all of them seemed to be well off families and Firey felt a bit out of place.

He was by far the youngest adult there and he sure as hell wasn't dressed like one of the dads there who  wore suits and ties, he looked like a stupid teenager in comparison.

He stood around for a while, unsure of what to do. He thought that the kids would have been waiting outside like they usually would at the end of the day but he saw that the parents were walking into the building and walking out with their kids.

People were beginning to give him strange looks so he quickly made his way into the building, not taking into account that he didn't know where Grove's classroom was.

After walking down the same corridor a few times he gave up and went to the secretary's office to see if they would know where Grove was.

The secretary was a sweet, middle-aged lady and her name tag read, Tea-Kettle.

She asked Firey who he was and he explained that he was picking Grove up for Leafy, telling Tea Kettle she could call Leafy if she wanted proof but she said it was fine and told him where he could find Grove's room.

At last he found it and he walked in to see Grove playing with some trucks alongside a few other children and his face lit up when he spotted Firey.

He quickly sprang up, grabbed his bag and ran to Firey, greeting him with a high-five.

Grove held Firey's hand as they left and when the green haired child found out he was going to ride the train today he was ecstatic.

He pointed out random things to Firey, telling him how they worked and how long they had been there.

"That's a water tower, it's been there for a bazillion years!"

"Woah really, how do you think it got there?"