Chapter 16

I remember the time I got into an accident on my way from school. My mother didn't know the real reason behind my condition because I made sure to leave out that part. It was a Friday and we had just finished training with the coach for only an hour before he gave us the rest of the day off to start our weekend early. I rounded a corner then came face to face with Julian Nelson and his two trusted friends, Roman and Edwin.

"Interesting finding you here," he grinned wickedly at me with the intention of something evil. "I don't know why but I just hate the mere sight of you looking happy. I think we should fix that."

I shouted at him to leave me alone, fed up with his torment. Julian was the kind of person that preyed on the weakness of others and used it to boost his stupid ego. His group of friends made it their mission to bother me with the intent of driving me to do something out of my principle. They wanted me to fall so they would gloat saying, "Isn't it against your christian teaching to this or that." A trap they set which I never let myself to fall into.

Roman attacked me first with a nasty punch to my face that immediately drew out blood from my nose. I remember the feeling of losing even before the fight started. I wasn't strong then, I was with no one to fight behind me so after a while I stopped fighting back. The three boys hit me with their boots and all I could see were black splotches and the sight of my own blood on the ground. I almost thought that would be the end of me till something happened.

I was curled in a fetal position, praying desperately for strength and for someone to save me before I actually died. Suddenly Julian fell back screaming, clutching his eyes. His screams were something I would never forget. "It burns! My eyes! My eyes" They were red and he struggled to see.

Roman spat at me in fury, "What did you do to him?! Answer me you bastard." He raised his feet to submit another blow when he too started screaming. "Can you see that?! What the heck?" Edwin and Roman looked at me as though I was something out of this world. They looked ashen and started stammering. "It looks like...like...Run! Run!" The two boys picked Julian up and ever since then they never came after me again.

I always pondered on what they saw that frightened them to that extent but I also didn't go and ask. The days that followed made me conscious of a presence that followed me. It stuck to me like a shadow and sometimes I contemplated speaking to it but didn't want to seem absurd to harbor such thoughts. Instead I reveled in its presence during my tough times for comfort.

The memory was the first that surfaced in my mind as I groaned. The bright light from my surroundings blinded me temporarily as I lifted my body from the bed I was laying on. I expected to feel pain all over my body because of what happened but I felt normal, as if I was just waking up from a nap. I turned to my left to see an unfamiliar person clothed in a girlish purple top and a pair of shorts. He stared blankly at me with his dark eyes, calculating my every movement. His eyes flickered to my ankle, the same one which should've been bruised but looked as if nothing happened.

On the contrary I felt a burst of energy and stretched my body.

"Where am I?" I asked. "And who are you?"

"I'm—"

"Daniel!" Penelope burst into the room, the tray of food she was carrying forgotten as she placed it on the desk beside me. Her arms circled my body instantly as she gave me what felt like the most comfortable hug I've had in a while. She nestled her face closer to my shoulder and sighed. "I was so worried when we found you."

She drew back and held my hand, now looking serious. "We need to talk and I believe you owe us an explanation."

The boy cleared his throat, looking annoyed at Penelope for her behavior. She let my hand fall as a faint shade of color coated her cheeks. "Sorry. This is Nathaniel, one of my friends. He helped carry you here. Nathaniel, this is Daniel, we're well acquainted."