Another Day in Paradise

It was a peaceful weekday, in the Soma house. Tohru was the first to be up while everyone was fast asleep in their rooms. With a smile, she leaped out of bed and got changed. It was like a normal day, but for Tohru it was a special day. In fact, it was the year of the rat. Tiptoeing out her room and down the stairs, Tohru made her way towards the kitchen to make Yuki's favourite mocha. Every zodiac year, Tohru and her mother would always celebrate it, despite them not being any of the other 11 zodiacs. Tohru would always put cheese on their door step and wait for any rat to appear to take the offering for the year. She would give anything to the animals just in case they was zodiacs. And today was no exception. It reminded her of a story her mother once told her about...

About a beggar elderly woman, who finds a weak and injured bird. She did everything in her power to feed and look after the bird with the money she had, skipping meals just to keep the bird alive. Turns out the bird was actually a zodiac. And transformed into a prince. As a reward, the prince gave her and her family everything to survive. What she really loves about the stories are when people help one another even through tough times.

Tohru smiled as she made up the batter, rice and noodles. Looking into the cupboard, she took out Yuki's favourite food. No one would have guessed that Yuki would like almonds. Of course, he likes anything Tohru cooks, which makes her happy to see him smile and enjoy the meals she prepares with all her heart. Maybe, I'll make different types, just in case. Tohru smiled to herself as she took out more fillings. As she started to make the cake-like treats, Kyo yawned and made his way into the kitchen. He stopped short and jumped back in shock.

"Tohru?"

Tohru turned to face Kyo, his hair was spiky and messy, making her chuckle slightly.

"Morning, Kyo."

"What are you doing?" Kyo asked as he opened the fridge and reached into get the milk, Tohru leaned in to grab two plums from the shelf and snatched the milk carton from his hands. "Hey!"

"Sorry, Kyo. But, I need this. I'll get some more once I finish preparing the mochi." Kyo signed and looked away angry but, was trying to hide it.

"N...No... it's fine..." Tohru smiled at his reaction, feeling slightly nervous around him. It's been two whole years living with the Somas and yet she still gets scared at his reactions sometimes. "So, what are you up to?" He asked again as he rubbed the back of his neck and looked over her shoulder.

"I'm making new year's mochi." Tohru smiled as she showed him some cutters.

Kyo shakes his head as he pushed her away and started to throw everything in the sink.

"What are you doing? Kyo, I wasn't finished..." Tohru stepped forward and tried to wrestle Kyo out of the kitchen. He stared down at her with a raised eyebrow.

"You can't push me. It's useless, you know? Also," Tohru glanced up at him in wonder. "It's not even New Years, so why bother-"

"But, I always celebrate zodiacs year..."

Kyo's eyes widen as he glanced at Tohru's sad expresson, which made he close his eyes tightly and moan.

"Mum and I, always bake goodies for all the animals as a offering. To keep them happy. Every year, I do the same thing. I even go around feeding all the stray cats two." Tohru smiled as she put her hands together as if she was praying. "It's a tradition."

Some tradition... Kyo thought as the door slide open and Shigure stepped out smelling the air like a hungry wolf.

"Do I smell mochi?" He asked which made Kyo's jaw drop.

"That's right." Tohru beamed as she showed him ready prepared buns, all ready to be boiled in the noodles. "I made them for Yuki."

"That damn rat, what for?"

Tohru turned to face Kyo as Shigure hit him on his head with his paper fan.

"Now. Now. Don't start, or you won't get any."

Kyo hissed at Shigure as he gave Kyo a stare.

"I don't want any, anyway! They are all plums and almonds!"

Of course, Kyo hates plums and hates the taste of nuts. But, perhaps he would like the other ones in the fridge.

"K...Kyo..."

"WHAT?"

There was silence as Kyo covered his loud mouth and looks away with a blush upon his face. Feeling slightly nervous and strange.

"S...sorry... what... is it?"

"I made... salmon ones... for you..."

Kyo stared at her and blinked as if hearing things.

"They... in the fridge..."

Upon hearing that, Kyo opened the fridge and looked around. At the bottom shelf was a plate covered up with bowl. Lifting the bowl, he saw the cat shaped mochi all lined up and ready to be boiled.

"Ah, isn't that sweet. Kyo, you softie." Shigure smiled as he glanced over his shoulder to look at the detailed cat faces.

"WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO CALL ME THAT?!"

Tohru smiled as the dog and the cat talked, that's when another tiring voice came into the room.

"What's going on?"

Tohru turned to face Yuki, who was still half asleep. He must have woken up by Kyo's loud voice. Tohru thought as she hid the mochi in the oven.

"Yuki. Morning."

"Good morning." Yuki smiled back at her with his usual soft and gentle tone. Before turning his attention behind her. Tohru fidgeted under his gaze. "Miss Honda, was you making breakfast?" he asked as Tohru froze.

"Why do you ask?"

Yuki smiled as he reached out a hand and wiped away a bit of flour off her cheek, making her gasp at his touch. Jumping back slightly, she turned on the tap to wash her face and hands.

"Yes. I was just about to cook. I prepared everything, so..." Before Tohru could say more, Kyo turns in attention to Yuki.

"Hey! You damn rodent." Yuki turned to face him, not in the mood to deal with Kyo's outbursts. "Let's continue where we left off!" Tohru started to shake her head and raise her hands as if to stop them.

Yesterday, they decided to fight due to a strange bet... she didn't know what it was about, either to be her date at the school disco or it's just the way they are... as usual, Yuki won. Shigure was unaware of the Kyo's threat as he smiled at his mochi collection that she made that looked like dogs.

"I'll pass." Yuki signed as he walked right past Kyo, making him snap and grip his wrist.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?! Running away, you little wim-!"

Without warning, Yuki spins and kicks Kyo into the air and out through the closed doors, as he spins and land in the pond outside, Tohru just watched as Kyo gasped for air. This almost remind her of how she first met them. Nothing has ever changed. After everything that happened, Tohru was glad to be living with the Somas and meeting Yuki, Kyo and Shigure. It felt like they was a family. Her and the other Somas she met a year ago.