Epilogue: A new family

Depuis le début

"Not that I know of," I said

Doctor: I see. Well, don't worry about that right now. We'll get it sorted out.

The doctor ran a few more tests before leaving. The nurse came back with a glass of water that I downed in seconds. Everyone was nice but that didn't relieve the feeling of dread that id gotten knowing that my parents had abandoned me two years prior. At least they had enough compassion to bring me somewhere I could get treated.

(24 hours later)

A day later, the doctor returned with someone else in tow. The man wore a neatly pressed suit, tie, and dress shoes. He also had on black-rimmed glasses, a fancy watch, and short hair.

 He also had on black-rimmed glasses, a fancy watch, and short hair

Doctor: Y/n, this is Seijirou Kikuoka from Internal Affairs. He would like to speak with you. Is that alright?

I nodded but stayed silent. I could tell just by looking that this Kikuoka was government. Whether or not he was going to extort something from me remained to be seen.

Kikuoka: Thanks doc. Give us a few minutes alone would you?

Doctor: Of course Mr. Kikuoka.

Once the doctor had left, Kikuoka took a seat in a chair next to my hospital bed.

"What do you want from me?" I asked

Kikuoka: What makes you think that?

"The fancy clothes, Internal Affairs, you reek of government, so I ask again. What do you want from me?" I asked

Kikuoka: When they told me you were astute, they were right. Yes, I am government. I'm part of a special division created specifically to deal with issues in the virtual world. I was assigned to work on the SAO case. I've already spoken to several other survivors here and they all attributed their survival to a player decked out in silver armor with a tattered black hood who wielded a greatsword. Sound familiar?

"I don't know what you're talking about" I lied

Kikuoka: Really? Well then maybe I should go ask Mr. Kirigaya. You know him as Kirito.

"Kirito is here? Where? Let me talk to him!" I said

Kikuoka: Whoa, slow down. First I want you to answer a few questions, then I'll let you see Kirito. Deal?

"Fine. What is it?" I asked

Kikuoka: Are you the player known as the Ashen One?

"Yes," I said

Kikuoka: Did you or did you not run with a female dagger wielder named Koharu?

"Yes," I said

Kikuoka: What was your relationship with her?

"Why does that matter?" I asked

Kikuoka: Im just gathering information about-

"Knowing what my relationship with her was does not help you learn anything about what happened in there. It was a private matter that ended with her death. I do not want to talk about it any further" I said