- Are you sure? He was really pissed last night. – she warns me, just outside the closed door.

- So is my father. He kicked me out. – I say, sounding indifferent.

Nymeria's eyes rise in surprise, but she remains quiet. She knows how much my family means to me, so she knows how screwed I am right now. Instead of asking anything, she looks away and simply knocks on the door before opening it, not waiting for a response.

- Not now Nymeria, I'm working. – Alaric's deep voice says.

- Caleb's here to talk. – she ignores him and walks to his side. Alaric stops working and looks up at me.

He's still wearing the same clothes as last night. He probably spent the whole night working. His eyes are tired, bags in his eyes, and his hair is a mess. However, his presence is as intimidating as always. His gaze feels like it passes through me.

- I expected you to show up. - he says in his baritone voice. – I assume you come to tell me you're leaving the pack. –

- No. – I answer.

This seems to get his attention. He puts the pen he was holding down and leans back in his chair. Alaric and Nymeria's eyes are on me, looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to elaborate.

- I screwed up. I didn't tell you about the mate bond. For that, I'm sorry. – I say honestly.

- Okay. – Alaric nods. – Why did you come here, then? -

- I'll marry Nymeria. – I say seriously. Their eyes rise a little and Nymeria looks at her father, but his gaze never leaves me.

- You can't. – he states firmly. – You're mated to an Alpha; it would only create conflict with River Valley. – he adds.

- It's my choice. They can't force me to marry if I don't want to. –

- Caleb... – he says, but I interrupt him.

- I want to protect this pack. I know you're obliged to hand me over, but I don't want to. – I lie, partially.

- Can he even do that? – Nymeria asks. – Reject the bond, I mean. -

- It's more complicated than that. – he responds.

- I know, I know the consequences of rejecting a bond. –

- Even if I agreed to it. What makes you think I'd let you marry Nymeria? – he says firmly and harshly. He's testing me. Nymeria is looking at me, not sure how to feel.

- Because I'm the best you got. – I answer. He furrows his eyes, he's about to talk but I continue. – I worked hard to become Beta in Command. Against all odds, I defeated higher-ranked wolves. After you named me Beta, I never stopped training and helping the pack. Even now, going to River High and helping my dad with construction work, I keep up with my part. You can ask Gregory; I haven't slouched on my duties. – I explain myself. - I have straight A's in River Valley, I defeated Gregory, I do all the duties you assigned me and I even help Lena and Riley occasionally. –

- Caleb, I know you're strong, but there's a lot more to being an Alpha. – he tells me calmly.

- I'd still be one in River Valley. – I point out. – I don't see why I can't be one here. The pack knows me, they trust and respect me. I know they'll approve of me as a Male Alpha. –

- Caleb. – Alaric sighs, ordering his ideas.

- I know I am a long way to being an Alpha, but I'll learn. I'll learn because I want to protect this pack. – I say. I can feel my eyes wanting to water, but I restrain myself. – Give me one more chance and I promise I won't disappoint you. – I ask him, my voice breaking a little.

- What about Alpha Nathan and his son? Do you still love him? – he asks. I swallow hard and think about my words.

- I do. – I nod honestly. I sigh and take a deep breath. – But you taught me that an Alpha sometimes needs to make sacrifices to protect his pack. I won't lie to you. A part of me wants to go with Nathan, but another one ties me here. I always knew I'd have to choose. I guess... I wanted to delay that as much as possible. – I explain.

- You were very adamant yesterday about your mate. – Alaric says. Silence again grows as I think about what to say.

- I was emotional yesterday. We had just told Alpha Nathan and Yannis about our relationship... I never thought about the impact here. It was a mistake, I'm sorry. – I say.

- You're heart beats faster. – Nymeria says for once.

She looks at me dubiously. They can tell I'm lying. I want them to see that I'm serious about this. That means I can't lie to them. It's true, my wolf is mourning and hates me at this moment. That part of me wants me to leave, but the other side, the human side, tells me otherwise. My instincts want me to be with my mate and my mind tells me to stay. I'm caught on between.

- Because it hurts to leave him... – I explain truthfully.

- You're willing to leave your mate for us. – Nymeria asks, amazed. I nod. – Dad? – she turns to him.

- Are you sure about this? – he asks.

- Yes. – I nod.

- It's your call. – he tells his daughter.

- Cal. I don't want you to do this just because you think you have to. – she tells me warmly.

- I know... I want to. If you still want me, I'd be honored to marry you, Nymeria. – I tell her.

- Okay. I accept. – she says.

And just like that, I felt how my heart cracked because, in my head, that meant Nathan and I are over. I betrayed my wolf and, as a result, me. I hope this is the right thing to do. I love Nathan, I really do. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. I know I'll regret this because I'll hurt him, and I hate myself for that. But what do you do when you're caught choosing between your mate and your pack? Do you pack your stuff and leave the people that cared for and loved you your whole life? Or do you stay and do what's right for them? Who do you choose? I already did, and I'd come to regret it soon.

---------

Picture of Ally at the top