CHAPTER SIX

"Didi." A text came through from Joyce.

"I've been trying to reach your dad but it's telling me it's unreachable. We've been at the police station since morning and they want to lock Susan and Desmond behind the counter."

"Let me call him." I responded.

"Tell him not to make any panic decision except my phone doesn't go through anymore."

I called my dad and gave him the status report.

"What's going on?" Bridget perked up.

"They want to put Susan and Desmond behind the counter."

"Huh? Why?!"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"That's true." She facepalmed.

"It's Agu's stupid elder brother. He's trying to pull all the strings he can." I recounted my thought process. "This is absolute bullshit." Bridget sighed.

"I know..." Bridget agreed.

I picked up the pen and returned the script.

***Back at the station***

"My siblings wouldn't sit behind that counter because some old, overdue, rotten hag wants to put his brother's grieving kids behind bars just to soothe his bitter heart and bruised ego." Joyce snapped.

"Madam." The DPO gently called out. He understood her plight.

They were innocent and were in this aggravating situation because the wretched hag filed a report first.

"I have a sick mother at home and if the news of us being here reaches her, I'm afraid we would have two bodies on hand instead. She's hypertensive and we've just managed to tame this dragon of her husband's death."

"I'll let them go because of their innocence and your sick mother. But madam, I'll advise you to treat this as a family issue and not one that should be brought to the police station. It doesn't look so good."

"Judging from all you seen, heard and witnessed so far, does it look or seem like he's sane or mature enough to suggest a peaceful, orderly meeting?" She paused. "As the eldest sibling, this whole rigmarole is an even bigger slap to his face."

"I understand ma." He waved one of the sergeants over. "Release all of them."

"Yes sir." He yelled with an exaggerated salute.

"Where are you?" A text came in for Didi.

"They just released us to go home. We'll be home soon." Joyce responded.

"Ok." Didi responded.

"Thank you." Joyce left with her siblings.

They trudged towards her car.

"If not for you, I know what I'll have done." Kiel grumbled to Joyce, clearly ticked off.

"Let me hear word." She shunned, needing all the tranquility she could get. The whole saga was taking a toll on her mental health.

As if losing her father while they were just starting to communicate and rebuild a bond they lost thirty years ago; wasn't enough, she had to fight tooth and nail for their freedom too.

*** *** ***

The minute Joyce pulled up in the compound, her phone went off. It was the DPO.

"Good evening, madam." He acknowledged.

"This your uncle is proving to be more headstrong than I thought. He's not backing down and I'm afraid you'll have to be present again tomorrow.

"Again?"

"I'm afraid so."

"No problem. Thank you." She sighed.

"Goodnight." He said and she hung up on him.

"What happened?" Susan looked worried.

"We're going back tomorrow."

"I'm not going anywhere tomorrow." Kiel grumbled.

"So, they can say you're hiding because you killed your father?" Joyce frowned at him.

"That's their business." He responded with more attitude than usual.

"This one doesn't know what he's saying." Desmond rolled his eyes, dismissing Kiel.

"Let's go." She turned off the ignition and opened her door. They followed suit.

The headlights flashed as she clicked the lock button on the car's remote control.

"Tell your mother I'm coming; I need to get upstairs first." She trudged up the stairs.

"Ok." Susan acknowledged as they walked towards Oma's place.