"Hi Trisha," Bani gritted her teeth, squeezing Amrit's bicep way to hard as he visibly winced. "This is my husband, Amrit he's a surgeon and this is my best friend Falak, a graphic designer. Well, you already know her, don't you?"

"Oh," her mouth fell open, she gazed at Falak with ridicule. "I thought you stopped working all together after you left. By the way, I got the promotion."

So, Trisha had gotten the promotion that was meant for her. Falak squeezed a smile, hoping it didn't look as painful as it felt. "Congratulations. I just wanted to do things I liked again, so now I am just a freelancer."

She didn't comment much, or about her marriage. After passing on some superficial words she left and Falak could finally breathe again. Bani started seething visibly, she kept saying that she was always a bitch.

"She used to keep—" she groaned, Amrit patting her back slowly. "Never mind her."

Reunions like these were always ironic. It was a safety shield competition, Falak had to make sure she was safe from everyone. Old nostalgia hit some people too hard, because this competition only grew fiercer when you remembered what someone had done you to back then. Then it's like throwing garbage back and forth, but covered in gold and silver trash bags instead. Falak didn't have much gold and silver and neither did she want to throw garbage at anyone.

"Amrit please stop asking me about my crush in college, he's not here."

Falak stiffened a laugh, spilling oil from her tongue into the fire. "Are you sure?"

"Falak, tell me please," he launched at her instead, squeezing her under his shoulder. "She kept gloating about him, when we fought in the morning. Now I have to know my competition."

"There is no competition!" Bani flushed the color of her clothes. "Please, stop, it's embarrassing. You were annoying me so much in the morning so I just lied. Theek hai?"

"Are you sure?" Falak clicked her tongue, cherishing this rare moment of happiness.

"I am very sure," Bani took hold of her other arm. "Let's go out, the baraat will come soon."

"You want to see the groom so much?" she bit her lip, trying not to laugh. "Wasn't he your crush in college?"

Bani screamed, covering her ears as if she couldn't hear anything. Falak felt laughter spilling out of her gut, which was such a foreign feeling.

Amrit was in disbelief. "You are willingly ready to attend your ex-crush's wedding?"

"He didn't even know I liked them!"

"He so did," Falak covered her mouth, her face stretched into a big grin underneath.

"You are so going to die for this," Bani waggled a finger as she took steps back from Amrit, who looked half parts appalled and half parts amused. Then she dashed away to the pani-puri stand instead, her heavy salwar kameez holding her back from going any faster.

Her husband laughed, shaking his head. Falak had a small smile on her face. "She's great, isn't she?"

"The best," he sighed, in what looked like content.

"I am so happy she found you," she felt her nose turn sour. "Bani deserves the best, always. I couldn't see her going through more problems in her life. So, I am really happy you are the man that she got married to."

Because she knew the consequences of marrying the wrong man, of marrying someone who took more than her heart.

"And I am grateful she has a friend like you," his facial hair covered up his smile, but the crinkles near his eyes were very visible. "Not everyone finds friendships like you guys have. She's told me lots about you, she would never shut up in the start."