Chapter 32: Field Trip

Start from the beginning

"What happened?" Aaradhya asked.

"I don't think we should take this family," he said.

"Why?" she asked.

"There are only two members there. Our report will be the weakest. Let's search for a family for at least five members," he said.

"Then no one will take this family, Sumit. I want to work with them," Aaradhya said.

"We are going to get marked according to our reports. More members, more content, more marks," Satyam, the other boy said.

"Then you can go search for the family you want. I am working with them. That's final," Aardhya said. She doesn't know why but she wants to work for this girl.

"Guys, please. We have to work together. We can't divide teams among ourselves," Teena interrupted.

"Then let's choose this family," Aaradhya said.

"Not happening," Sumit said.

"Ok, Aaradhya let's search for another family. We will make our report on them but we will work with Sharda and her uncle too. We would not include them in reports as more than one family is not allowed," Satyam said calmly. He just wants marks. He cannot risk his grades just because one of his teammates wants to show humanity.

"Ok, you three can go and do that. I will sit here with Sharda and note her details. I want to take her medical responsibility. Mentioning it in any report is not important." Aaradhya said looking towards the girl who was looking at them curiously.

"Do whatever you want," Sumit said walking ahead.

"I'll stay with you," Teena said.

"No. Go with them. We don't want our team to be weak. I'll be fine here," Aaradhya smiled.

"Ok," Teena said hesitantly but left with the boys.

"So which class do you study?" Aaradhya asked as Sharda offered her a glass of water. Her house was very small. Just a room and a kitchen with almost no furniture.

"I don't go to school," the girl answered.

"Why?" Aaradhya asked.

"We don't have enough money. I also wanted to become a doctor when I was a child but Chacha ji says I am already a burden. He doesn't want my studies to increase that burden," Sharda said sadly.

Aaradhya's heart ached while listening to this girl. How was she so calm? How was she controlling her tears? Here they all were tensed because of stupid problems of their life but these are the real problems.  She was lucky she never had to deal with such things.

"You are not a burden. Don't say that," Aaradhya said holding her hands gently.

"I know, Di. But chacha ji doesn't understand," Sharda smiled.

Aaradhya hugged her. This girl was very mature for her age.

"What are these scars?" Aaradhya asked when she saw her hand. Sharda quickly covered it with her sleeves.

"Nothing. Just got burnt while cooking," she said not meeting her eyes.

"These are not burn marks, Sharda. Did your uncle raises his hands at you?" Aaradhya asked.

"No, he does not," Sharda said.

"Who are you?" a drunk voice came.

"Hello sir, I am here for our medical project...." Aaradhya stood and explained.

"I know. Every year these people send someone to disturb our life. We are all fine. Get out," he said rudely and then shifted his focus to Sharda.
"I told you not to let anyone in. What did you tell her?" he asked angrily.