Chapter 1

After school, I rushed home to grab my work shirt that I had forgot at home that morning. My boss, Jill Hart, would not be thrilled with my tardiness, but I knew she would not fire me. Mrs. Jill is the closest thing I have to a mother figure. My dad and I moved into one of her rent house right after my mom died when I was eight years old. She took me under her wing and has been there for me ever since.

When I arrived at the store, I went into the office to clock in and grab my badge. Mrs. Jill was sitting at her desk, putting in orders for the month.

"You're late, Andrew," she looked up at me with a stern face.

"Sorry. I forgot my work shirt at home this morning," I replied apologetically.

"You should have called or texted and I would have brought you one."

"I didn't want to bother you. I thought I could make it in time," I said as I wrote down what time I came in.

She gave me a small glare, "You know that you are never a bother to me, kid. You're working the register today."

"Yes ma'am."

There was a pause before she asked, "Do you have homework tonight?", switching from boss mode to mom mode.

"No ma'am," I replied.

She gave me another stern look and I held back an eye roll, "Ok, just a science worksheet."

"I expect you to work on that when we're slow. Ask me if you have any questions."

"Can't I just do it when I get home?" I complained.

"No, because you won't do it when you get home. I want to see it done before you go home, understood?"

"Yes ma'am," I groaned.

"Thank you. I love you."

"Love you too."

I exited the office and went over to login into the computer system at the cash register. Once I was logged in, I pulled my phone out of my pocket. There was only one customer in the store and it still seemed like they would be a few minutes before they were ready to check out. I checked my notifications and snapped a few girls back, including the one I am going to hang out with tomorrow.

I checked out the customer and after wishing her a nice evening, I went back to my phone.

"Andrew Oliver, that does not look like science homework, young man!" Jill scolded me as she walked out of her office.

"I was asking my classmate a question about it," I responded with the first thing that came to my mind.

"Don't lie to me," she scolded with her "mom" look.

I sighed, "Sorry. I was not doing my homework."

"Give me your phone," she demanded, "You can get back at the end of your shift to drive home but I will be informing your dad of all the events of this afternoon."

"Jilllll," I whined, "I'm gonna do my homework now. I'm sorry."

I already knew that my dad wouldn't care. He would probably just tell me to knock it off and move on. He has imposed a single punishment upon me since I was in elementary school. Mrs. Jill doesn't know that though and I wouldn't want her to. Knowing her, she would start taking matters into her own hands and she's much stricter than Dad is. She grounds me often enough, but Dad never keeps up with it and it never sticks.

"You chose to lie so now you have to deal with the consequences, kiddo. You know I don't like punishing you, but I'm not going to allow you lie and disobey me."