Chapter 37 - Imperial Delusions

Start from the beginning

Even though Gwenhwyfar had unfairly wrenched Medrauta from Viviane's side two weeks ago, the fact that she was still the princess didn't change. Her actions had hurt Viviane and Medrauta significantly, but Gwenhwyfar had broken no laws, and Viviane knew that.

Now that the adrenaline of the match had left her body, Viviane was agonizing over the decisions she'd made in the morning. It was true that she'd managed to win Medrauta back, and that alone left her overjoyed.

However, it was common knowledge that the only way the crown could change hands outside of regular succession was through a match, meaning that a challenge levied against a member of the imperial family was generally interpreted as a vie for the throne.

Doing so attracted the attention of not only the Imperial Inquisition who swiftly eliminated not only individuals with malignant designs on the imperial family, but also nobles from factions that opposed the current ruling family.

In other words, her future as a noble of the empire—and by extension, House Castellia's future—was looking pretty bleak.

...Well, at least she's stopped crying, Viviane sighed.

After a few more minutes of silence, another nurse approached them. This time, they had a far more friendly disposition.

"Excuse me, Your Imperial Highness. Lady Viviane. I'm afraid that the treatment of your knights will be taking a little longer. If you'd like, you may retire to your quarters."

Viviane shook her head. "Ah! No, it's fine. I'll wait for her."

The princess remained silent, but she didn't budge nor did she turn her head to face the nurse.

"Um... I believe Her Imperial Highness will be staying as well..."

The nurse nodded and thanked them for their patience before leaving. As soon as she did, the princess spoke.

"Rather confident today, are we?"

"E-Eep!" Viviane jumped, startled by the princess' voice. Gwenhwyfar had been silent for quite a while, so her sudden interjection had caused Viviane's heart to almost leap out of her chest. The fact that her thoughts had returned to the subject of the inquisition didn't help either. "C-Confident? I-I'm not sure what you mean, Your Imperial Highness..."

This time, Gwenhwyfar did turn to face Viviane. Though her eyes were still red-rimmed from all the crying, she'd taken care of the tears and snot with the handkerchief she was given earlier.

"First, you lay your hand on me, and now you have the gall to speak for me without my permission? You truly are something else, Viviane. I don't think I've ever been this offended in my life."

Viviane trembled in fear, her body shaking so much that she was almost vibrating. The princess' tone was harsh, and as minor as it may have been, she had still answered in lieu of the princess. Worse yet, the princess had been offended by it. That alone was a far more pressing problem than the inquisition.

"Er... Um... I...!" Viviane floundered, unable to find the words she desperately needed.

Gwenhwyfar merely huffed in an exasperated fashion. "But again, I shall overlook it."

"R-Really!?" Viviane exclaimed as the tension dissipated from her body almost immediately. "Oh, Your Imperial Highness, you truly—"

"On one condition."

H-Huh...? At that, Viviane's anxiety returned twofold. "A-And what might that condition be?"

She was terrified of the possibility that the princess would ask her to relinquish Medrauta, or worse, do something that would make Medrauta hate her. She trembled in fear at what the princess might ask of her.