Anticipating the Family Reunion

Comincia dall'inizio

"You don't have to do this you know, you could let me leave." She said, "When that Scythe killed the monster. It rebounded, and my soul was freed from everything, even Gaea, it took all my power just to return. He didn't know if it was the truth,, but didn't care.

"You don't understand. You don't know what it's like there. Worse, far worse than that thing. You can never understand how it feels. Please, don't make me go back. You don't understand how cruel he is. He enjoys it, he enjoys it..."

She sobbed into her hands. "It never stops." He nodded, "I'm sorry, but you hurt my dad. You made me kill my friend. I can't forgive that. Like you said, without my friends, I'm not a good enough person. Anything you'd like to say before you go?"

She sighed, looking up at the sky to hide her tears. "We never had them, y'know. Your friends...they escaped from that stupid shop. I was just...jamming the use of Iris messages the whole time." She laughed brokenly.

He nodded, "I know, Fleecy's a cloud nymph, not a storm nymph, a sorceress like you would know that. Still...very impressive. Think of all you'll accomplish when you come back." She shook her head.

"No, I finally feel like myself again. I can finally think clearly without her voice in my head, or that thing in my ear...for once, I want to decide on my own, and I think...my days of coming back are done...time for the world to forget me."

Even though they were enemies, even though he hated her to his core, if today had taught him anything, it was that he needed to grow past his hatred, to give Circe a final comfort. He said, "They might. I won't."

The gunshot rang through the bay like a symphony, it could be heard in the clean air for miles around. The final impact the sorceress Circe would make on the world.

Percy's POV

Four hours. That's how long it took the fastest horse on the planet to get from Alaska to San Francisco Bay, heading straight over the water down the Northwest Coast. That's also how long it took for Percy's memory to return completely.

The process had started in Portland when he had drunk the gorgon's blood, but his past life had still been maddeningly fuzzy. Now, as they headed back into the Olympian gods' territory, Percy remembered everything.

The war with Kronos, his sixteenth birthday at Camp Half-Blood, his trainer Chiron the centaur, his best friend Grover, his brother Tyson, and most of all Zoe—two great months of dating, and then BOOM.

He'd been abducted by the alien known as Hera. Or Juno...whatever. Eight months of his life stolen. Next time Percy saw the Queen of Olympus, he was definitely going to give her a goddess-sized slap upside the head.

His friends and family must be going out of their minds. If Camp Jupiter was in such bad trouble, he could only guess what Camp Half-Blood must be facing without him. Even worse: Saving both camps would be only the beginning.

According to Alcyoneus, the real war would happen far away, in the homeland of the gods. The giants intended to attack the original Mount Olympus and destroy the gods forever. Percy knew that giants couldn't die unless demigods and gods fought them together.

Nico had told him that. Annabeth had mentioned it too, back in August, when she'd speculated that the giants might be part of the new Great Prophecy—what the Romans called the Prophecy of Seven.

He understood Juno's plan: Unite the Roman and Greek demigods to create an elite team of heroes, then somehow convince the gods to fight alongside them. But first, they had to save Camp Jupiter.

The coastline began to look familiar. They raced past the Mendocino lighthouse. Shortly afterward, Mount Tam and the Marin headlands loomed out of the fog. Arion shot straight under the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco Bay.