S3 EP 5: Banquet

"Miss Satsuki..." Rio mumbled. "If you would be so kind to remind be but,... why are we getting dressed up again?" Rio and Sumeragi were in a room getting changed into formal attire for something Rio had not been informed on. 

"The Galarc Kingdom is hosting a party here in the capital to make a formal announcement." Sumeragi explained. "When the time comes, I will inform his majesty, the king, of my departure. Until then, we will take part in this ceremony."

"I see." Rio observed. "Then, why I'm I taking part in this?"

"Because if you want me to help you in your search to find these 'acquaintances', then this is necessary!" She frowned at Rio and so Rio gave into the demand so as to avoid any tensions he could avoid.

"So, who will be attending this ceremony?" Rio asked, changing the subject.

Satsuki looked at him, a little more excited. "The Royal family will be there as well as many high noble families from the kingdom of Galarc. Then, there's some of the knight staff to ensure no assassins or break-ins. Also, some special guests from alliances and such."

"Makes sense." Rio thought for a moment about all those she'd mentioned. Royal families and high nobles made enough sense to see at a formal event, but who were these "special guests" who were also attending? "I should just wait and see. It probably isn't nothing that important. Then again, I should keep my guard up."

Rio waited by the food as other people danced and made conversation. Sumeragi said she had some "business to attend to" and that she would join him in a minute. And it wasn't like Rio stood out in his bright attire since he looked the same as everyone else, but the uneasy presence of high class citizens of a foreign nation have him a feeling of weariness.

"This is incredibly unsettling..." Rio mumbled. Sure, he was the grandson of the rulers of a major nation, but he had no experience as a noble than going to the Beltrum Magic Academy.

"Rio?! What are you doing here?!" Rio turned around to see that it was... Christina?! The Christina who was supposed to be with Celia and Flora back in the village?! That Christina?!

"Why are you here?" Rio asked, anxiously. "Did something happen?!"

"Unfortunately, I was ordered to come and attend this little thing by our new king..." Christina grunted. "It's not like I wanted to be here... But, why are you here?!"

"I got someone to help me look for Miharu and the others..." Rio explained. "Unfortunately, she has to attend this before she can join me which brought me into this mess..."

"Sucks to be you!" Christina joked. "Anyway, while your new friend is doing whatever she is, why don't we talk. I've been bored for a while anyway..."

Rio shrugged. "Did Lady Christina have something she wanted to talk about to a mere servant like me?!"

"Indeed." Christina admitted. "It wasn't long ago that you learned you are the only heir to the Karasuki throne, so why don't you take it and get out of the criminal mess you're in? Wouldn't it make more sense?"

Rio shook his head. "If my grandparents need me to take the throne, I'd be happy to do it. However, I'm not someone who is big on power and authority. That... and I still need to avenge my mother..."

"You know, it occurs to me I've never heard the story of your deceased mother..." Christina mumbled. "May I hear what happened to her?"

Rio nodded, genuinely. "My parents had an... illegal relationship in the Karasuki kingdom so to protect them, my grandparents and the current king and queen sent them out of the kingdom. My father died when I was too young to remember him so I grew up with my mother. Then, an old friend of my fathers came to the house one day and killed my mom. Since then, I've sworn to kill that man..."

"I never imagined you had gone through that..." Christina apologized.

"It's fine." Rio replied. "Still, one of these days I will make sure I get my revenge."

"I hope you succeed." Rio was surprised. Most of the time, Christina was a snotty royal and wouldn't care one bit what Rio was doing nor if it mattered, but... now she was genuinely hoping he would succeed?!

"Yeah..."

"So, what do you plan to do after you kill this man that murdered your mother?" Christina asked, out of knowwhere.

The question didn't make much sense to Rio. What would he do after he killed this man? He hadn't planned for much after that... "I guess that I would find a wife and settle down with her and my sister in the Demi-human village to live the rest of my life... That or run the Karasuki Kingdom once my grandparents pass away..."

"You aren't really much of an ambitious person, huh." Christina observed. "Find a wife... did you have someone in mind?"

"I have a few..." Rio admitted. "But so far, not one that I know I'll marry in the future. It's to soon... Why do you need to know?" 

Christina blushed. "N-no reason! Let's just enjoy the banquet!"

She ran over to some other people and started to talk, frantically. Rio watched with a confused mindset. "Just what was that about?" 

CLING! CLING!

A chime came from the throne which sat at the top of the stairs. A maid of the King of Galarc was calling for attention to his highness as everyone stopped in their tracks to see the event. "Attention! His majesty François Galarc has an important announcement to make."

The king looked at the nobles as they looked at him for the announcement he was making. "Hello nobles from across the lands. I thank you for coming to this banquet to hear of what is troubling me."

"Is if that time already?" Rio heard one of the nearby nobles ask.

"She is about that age now..." another agreed.

Rio walked over to Christina who was watching the king intently. "Christina, what is going on here? Is there something important that everyone is here is in on?"

Christina nodded. "It's the second princess of the Galarc Kingdom's coming of age party. Nobles here are suitors looking to take her hand in marriage."

"I see..." Rio observed. "So, all of these male nobles are looking for her hand... Then, what are you even needed for here?"

"To represent the Beltrum Kingdom..." Christina sighed. "Although as I said before, I really am not happy about it..."

Rio nodded as he continued to listen to the announcement the King was making. "Now, is there anyone who would offer their hand in marriage to my daughter?"

"I will your majesty!"

"No! I will be the one to make your daughter happy!"

"It will be I who takes your daughter to happier times! Take me as your son, your majesty!"

The king smiled. "Well, if anyone wants to take my daughter, then-"

CRASH!

The glass sunroof on the ceiling suddenly shattered and what looked to be 14 people in black attire came down on ropes. They hit the floor and pointed their weapons on the king. "I'm sorry King François, but we will me taking the princess!"