𝑿𝑰𝑰.

"How many others have you done this with?" I asked Sunday afternoon

"Just you," Cain responded, clarifying he wasn't some serial kidnapper.

   I should've been relieved that no other girl had been forced into my position, but instead I felt special. One week with this man and I was already ditsier than ever.

   I sat on the corner of his desk cross-legged in his shirt from last night. He was in his chair, dressed properly. He'd chosen to work from home today. And I that liked that. I liked the steady sound of his voice as he spoke on the phone and called all the shots.

   I liked the way he was blasé about dealing with millions of dollars. I'd brought him a sandwich for lunch, wanting to quickly leave after handing over the plate, but Cain had reached out, taking my hand and holding me back. He spoke of thousand-dollar contracts and expansions as he wrapped an arm around my waist and held my body close.

   He didn't mind that I was around.

   While he was on the phone all morning with his calls, I laid on the sofa in the room, lounging and reading a book until he was finished for the day.

   Now, there was no Beans, no Vino, just us.

   We were playing a game of Twenty Questions. Unlike anyone else I'd ever known, outside of Duane, Cain was above all honest, whether good or bad, he didn't lie.

   For most of my life, I'd felt like a burden. Annoying. In the way. Cain didn't seem to mind my ramblings and questions. He sat back in his leather chair, amusement clear on his face as he looked on at me where I was perched on his desk in just his shirt.

   "How old are you?" I wanted to know.

   Cain sighed. "Twenty-eight. I'll be twenty-nine in September."

   "Oh, you're a Virgo? I've always heard good things about Virgo men," I said, thinking of some of my talks with the girls back at Crazy Legs.

   Cain chuckled, shaking his head. "I don't believe in that shit, Eden."

   "So you don't believe in fun?" I challenged.

   Cain only grinned at me, and it felt like the rays of a million suns warming me internally.

   He sank deeper into his chair, peering over at me as his thumb began to tap against his armrest. "There are nine years between us. Does that make you feel uncomfortable?"

   I shrugged. "I've never been with a man my own age."

   Cain's eyes narrowed. "Never?"

   I fingered my white nail polish on my big toe. "Most guys who took interest in me were always older. Does my age bother you?"

   "I don't take pleasure in the fact that you're so much younger than me," Cain stated earnestly.

   I thought of Keith from back home. He was older, wiser, and I could tell because of this he only tolerated me. He thought of me as just a kid. I didn't know much, but I didn't want to be tolerated in love. Didn't want to be a burden ever again.