Chapter Two: A Little Bit of Grace and an Enormous Amount of Pride

Ozker Peridot stood tall amongst the fidgeting crowd and carried himself as every mage did - with a little bit of grace and an enormous amount of pride. Making his way to the professors, many couldn't help but turn their gaze at him in awe. Though, there were a few puzzled stares thanks to the strange rabbit peeking its head out of the wizard's tall hat.

Nesting in Peridot's curly brown hair, the white rabbit poked his head out of the black hat. A pink nose twitched through the air while large, sapphire eyes scanned the crowd for his friend.

Professor Ostrom was the first to greet Mr. Peridot - Brim being the second. Broad shoulders knocked Ostrom out of the way and, in a matter of seconds, Brim was confronting the Mage. A firm finger waved in front of Peridot's bland expression while a thick, husky voice filled the air.

Emma, meanwhile, cowered behind the large oak door while the professor presented the charred end of his sleeve to her teacher.

She had hoped that after taking the exam, she would've been excited to see Mr. Peridot. Instead, Emma felt terrified.

The two of them had been preparing for the exam for several weeks and in a matter of minutes, Emma had thrown it all away. Now, as she sat behind the door waiting for the wizard to fuss at her, Emma feared what he might say.

Would he make classes longer and more excruciating? Would he give her even more reading material than she already had? Or, would the Grand Mage finally give up on the human girl and send her on her way?

Emma didn't know which fate was worse.

She found herself sitting at the foot of the staircase, knees hugged to her chest. A few moments later, the door finally flung open and the Grand Wizard stepped inside. Long, quick strides struck the wooden floors as the door slammed shut behind him.Emma's heart pounded while the crowd outside rumbled with questions. She stood despite the slight wobble to her knees. Her eyes wide despite feeling terrified of the angry expression Mr. Peridot was sure to have.

The Grand Mage's head hung low. His black shoes clomped against the wooden floors, making their way over to the staircase. And, instead of stopping in front of his student and giving her a stern lecture, he made his way upstairs.

Emma's brows knitted together, her head whipping around to gawk at the wizard. Without turning back, Mr. Peridot tossed his black top hat in the air. The rabbit that was sitting atop his head pawed at it playfully as the accessory bounced away. Then, with a snap of his fingers, the top hat zoomed down the stairs, knocked Emma out the way, and rested itself on the coat hanger that stood beside the door.

She watched Mr. Peridot take a right turn, a cheerful tune catching her attention. The familiar hum echoed through the hall on the second floor, leading Emma back to the Grand Wizard's study. Cautious and quiet, the girl peeked her head around the doorway. There, she found Mr. Peridot standing in front of his desk.

He slid his finger against the smooth oak and Emma shivered at the sight of black soot staining Mr. Peridot's fingertip. Though, the ash only seemed to make Mr. Peridot's song even more joyful.

The wizard hummed as he rubbed the black soot between his fingertips. Sitting on top of the mage's fluffy hair, the wispy blue tail of the odd rabbit swung back and forth. Neither of them noticed Emma when she stepped into the study. She was careful in her step as she inched closer to her teacher. Clearing her dry throat, she finally asked, "Mr. Peridot, what're you doing?"

Mr. Peridot turned to face the girl, the movement swift and easy. Though, Emma couldn't stop herself from jumping as she laid her gaze on the strange pair of goggles that he was wearing. The Grand Wizard's emerald-colored eyes grew ten times bigger behind the large circular lenses he wore, causing him to resemble that of a fly. The clunky, bronze frames shifted into focus as he focused his gaze on his apprentice.