Chapter 14: Run away from ORCS

(Narrator's POV): Long chapter! XD

As the group surrounded Kóna, she slowly regained consciousness, feeling Thorin's arms wrapped around her. She felt the heat rushing through her cheeks with embarrassment as she realized her situation. Thorin's worry for her was evident in his embrace, and Kóna's heart skipped a beat as she looked up at him: "Thorin?..." she whispered, still puzzled by not only that she was still ill but the fact that Thorin's grip tightened slightly, relieved to see her awake. "Thought I had lost you," he admitted, his voice filled with emotion.

Kóna blushed even more deeply as her heart melted at his concern. She tried to muster a weak smile as it assured him he wouldn't lose her that easily. Despite her weakened state, she tried to lighten the mood. The others watched this tender moment between them, some exchanging knowing glances while Bilbo attempted to hide his smile behind his hand. It was apparent to everyone that Thorin and Kóna had a special spark between them. Even though they were unaware, the Company and Gandalf could tell that the dwarf-king had found his One. 

The problem was that Thorin Oakenshield didn't know it yet.

Balin spoke hushedly to Thorin, recognizing Kóna's difficult time. Thorin agreed and gave Kóna space to recover. He assisted her to her feet and provided support with his sturdy, armored arms. However, Kóna declined his help and stood independently. She gazed into Thorin's eyes closely while experiencing mixed emotions. She appreciated Thorin's attempts to dismiss his developing sentiments secretly, but they persisted. Kóna also felt the same in an attempt to ignore her feelings for him. 

Nonetheless, Thorin recognized that he couldn't allow his infatuation with Kóna to interfere with his duty as the company's leader. As the others say, Thorin and Kóna are two stubborn people struggling with their trust and beliefs in one another. 

"It's fine, Thorin..." Kóna, feeling anxious, asked Thorin about his whereabouts. But before he could respond, Thorin abruptly left without a word, leaving Kóna feeling relieved for holding back her emotions yet disappointed to be unable to talk to him. Frustrated, Kóna couldn't help but investigate why Thorin reacted like that towards her. She had never felt such agitation (or that's what she feels for him) towards a man, let alone a dwarf before.

Quietly, Kóna tries to find him near the mouth of a cave; according to what Nori explained earlier, it used to be a troll cave. Curious got the better of her and watched from afar that the dwarves were tending to their horses, turning around to meet Gandalf, who emerged from the troll hoard and approached Bilbo: "Bilbo, here. This is about your size." 

She knew this part of the book; it was the part where Gandalf the Grey hands a sword to the hobbit, who looks and stares at the weapon, seemingly hesitant to hold it, "I can't take this." Gandalf didn't take no for an answer and explained: "The blade is of Elvish make, which means it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are nearby." 

"I have never used a sword in my life," Bilbo expressed a bit, which the Grey Wizard gave him, "And I hope you'll never have to. But if you do, remember this: true courage is knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one." Gandalf told him that Bilbo was hesitant but took the sword to keep it. Meanwhile, Kóna ventured into the troll hoard and discovered a dusty-covered sword with a diamond at the top of the hilt. She examines it by unsheathing the sword to admire its beauty.

 She examines it by unsheathing the sword to admire its beauty