Chapter 6: The Journey that leads too fast part 1

Everyone was already awake and getting on their horses; except for Kóna. She didn't have one until Kili and Fili were kind enough to hand her a white one, "Be careful, Kóna. Bofur started, "This is very shy, so you must be gentle on the poor! It's not used to strangers." Taking a step closer to the horse, Kóna extended her hand slowly, allowing the animal to sniff as it got accustomed to her scent. 

The horse, somewhat hesitant at first, cautiously approached her hand and nuzzled it gently. Kóna continued letting the horse nuzzle her with a small smile; her voice filled with a rare fondness for the magnificent white horse. "I'll make sure to treat her with the utmost care." Her silver eyes wandered deeply as she walked around it before its coat gleamed in the early morning sunlight. She felt a surge of appreciation toward the dwarves for their kindness. 

Bofur nodded approvingly. "That's the spirit, lass. Remember, horses can sense fear, so it's essential to be calm and confident around them, ey?" Kóna nodded, absorbing Bofur's advice. She had little horse experience but was determined to learn quickly. She moved closer to the horse, maintaining a gentle demeanor and speaking in soothing tones. 

Slowly and carefully, Kóna stroked the horse's mane, reassuringly touching it. Now at ease, the horse allowed the speedster to continue her gentle strokes as Kóna could sense the horse remaining patient around her to get on the saddle. It knew it would take time for the speedster to get on it completely. 

Thorin Oakenshield had serious trust issues with Kóna, a woman who had joined their group on their journey. He was suspicious of her presence, and despite Kóna's rare kindness and skill with the horse, Thorin wasn't sure if she was trustworthy enough to earn her place in the group. Kóna refused to back down and demonstrated her worth. She proved her determination and skill, and Thorin eventually allowed her to continue. 

Although initially, Thorin tried to stop her, he quickly backed down after receiving a stern warning look from Gandalf. They were already guessing the peace between the Mercenary and the King of Erebor wouldn't last long. Kóna continued hearing the dwarves making a wager on whether or not she or Thorin would win a challenge, hiding the smirk from forming over her lips about it until she took a glance and grew slightly confused by the dwarf-man's stare. Tilting her head in interest and annoyance: 

"Do you have a problem, Thorin? Or do you need a raincheck on whether or not you can stop me?" 

Her words momentarily took Thorin aback, but he quickly regained his composure and projected a cold, dominant demeanor that made people tremble. As for Kóna, she refused to react since she was used to this kind of behavior, being a seasoned mercenary.

Turning towards Thorin, who told her with a threatening growl, "If you aren't well-fitted for the quest, I will not protect you." 

Kóna shook her head with a sly smirk. "I have served on many missions, Thorin." She fixed the reins of her horse in good measure before she whispered into his ear like a shadow: "None of your words will suffocate my patience; otherwise, you'd be dead by now."

Thorin's frown deepened, "Heed my warning, lass. You wouldn't last for long like the rest of us." He left immediately to mount his horse and rode away while Kóna's expression remained emotionless and almost stone-cold. The Dwarf-King couldn't help but feel disturbed by her, yet also wonder at her stoicism.

Kóna never cared about what people thought of her, and despite everything that had happened, she surely knew how to play the story like the palm of her hand because there were two words to combine, and those words were Survive and Fight. 

No more, and nothing less. 

She continued interacting with the horse. She could feel the bond forming between them. She whispered soothing words, gently leading the horse forward, and soon enough, the horse followed her without hesitation. Kóna's dad used to teach her how to ride a horse a couple of times, and the fondness of her happy memory gave her confidence as she realized the progress they were making together.

Bofur, Kili, and Fili watched with admiration as Kóna's patience and gentle approach paid off. They could see that Kóna had a natural affinity for horses without knowing where she came from, despite her lack of experience, knowledge, and uncertainty about the Hobbit movie. Kóna is grateful to her deceased dad for sharing his horse expertise. She can see the white horse standing calmly beside her, trusting her completely.

Thorin, who had been observing from a distance, approached the group. His expression was stern, but Kóna could sense curiosity and respect in his eyes. He had witnessed Kóna's ability to connect with the horse and recognized her determination and skill. As Kóna carefully interacted with the horse, the others finished their preparations. 

Gandalf approached Kóna, observing her progress with a kind smile, "Ah, Kóna, I see you've made a new friend," Gandalf remarked. "Remember, the bond between a rider and their horse is built on trust and respect. Take your time, and soon enough, you'll ride alongside us."

Kóna nodded, appreciating Gandalf's words of wisdom. She understood that earning the horse's trust would require patience and empathy. Kóna connected with the majestic creature with each passing moment: 'Snow? Hmm, I like the name. It suits her for now.' She mentally told her ghostly friend while soothing Snow's mane softly by whispering words to put it at ease; unbeknownst to the Mercenary, Gandalf raised an eyebrow before he shrugged it off and rode with the others. 

Finally, after bonding with the horse through its eyes, Kóna felt ready to mount it. Without assistance from Kili and Fili, she gracefully climbed onto the horse's back, settling into the saddle. The horse shifted slightly beneath her but remained calm, sensing Kóna's newfound confidence. She then made some clicking sounds that she learned for the horse to move and ride next to Thorin.