Chapter XIII - Item: Suspicion

Warnings: Descriptions of EXTREME PAIN and being UNABLE TO BREATHE, Mentions of Minor and Major Injuries from last chapter.

Conundrum (Definition): A problem or puzzle which is difficult or impossible to solve.

(Noun / Origin: Pseudo-Latin / kuh·nuhn·druhm)

"Since when did you bring your suitcase?" I said as we both stared at the rectangular object

"I didn't!" Kay exclaimed, "I went to put the stuff from my rucksack in the chest and it was just there!"

"Huh." Was all I said, rather perplexed, as I kicked at the plastic.

Kay swatted my foot away with her own, darting her eyes back and forth between me and the suitcase, before quickly kneeling down and grabbing the zips. Pulling them around she then hauled the top half open, laying it down to reveal her belongings cramped inside. It was everything she had packed for the trip but had left at the hostel when we were sucked through the portal. Clothes, makeup, wash bag and books all piled up. The relief on her face was obvious when she pulled out her toothbrush and toothpaste, but all was forgotten as she snatched up a set of clean underwear and her pyjamas, sprinting out the door to the bathroom on the other side of the hallway. I snorted at her antics and knelt down myself, checking out what was there whilst I waited. Barely a minute passed and Kay had returned, stuffing the dirty clothes and underwear she had reluctantly been wearing since we got here under her bed.

"These are getting set on fire later."

I laughed out loud, whilst also relieved that one of us could feel somewhat nicer. Bilbo had kindly offered us baths, which we desperately agreed to. We also recycled the left over water to wash our clothes in, but only the smell seemed to leave temporarily – the mud and blood stains had practically cemented themselves into the fabric. Standing back up, I checked the chest once again, seeing if anything had been missed in the dim candlelight. Not spying anything, I returned to the suitcase and unzipped the flap that was currently hiding half of Kay's belongings. Lifting the material up, I was met with a familiar face.