20. small crushes

A/N: ever like partied too hard on your last day of school? then forgetting to upload a chapter? yeah thats me i admit sorry ya'll 😭💀

After partying too hard the previous day, they all decided to take a break from alcohol and rest for the weekend, while those who weren't too drunk or didn't drink carried on with their day and did their own objectives.

Aaron thought it was time for him to make a move and invite Aphmau out. However, to his surprise, he's the one who got invited instead.

Aphmau dragged Aaron along to where Kim had been working lately—a small cafeteria that had enough space for everyone to enjoy their meal and have some privacy.

Aphmau planned to invite Kim to join them at the mall, along with Aaron, so they waited for her as she was almost done with her shift.

"Any minute now, she's good to go~" Aphmau exclaimed, twirling her purple-themed Hello Kitty keychain in her small bag, while Aaron sat silently at the other end of the table, waiting patiently.

Aaron started feeling a bit nervous around Aphmau. "Hey Aaron, do you think I'd look good in a formal suit?" she asked. Aaron took a moment to think before answering, "I think you definitely would."

"Well, after this wait, maybe I'll go buy one later," she giggled softly. "I'm so glad I have enough money to buy things for later. I'd cry if I didn't." Aaron was still a bit tired and yawned.

"Getting bored already?" Aphmau teased as she looked at him. "Not bored, just a little tired," Aaron replied, and Aphmau chuckled.

"You must have had a massive headache earlier, hehe. I remember when you chugged that bottle—it must have been a pain in the throat," she recalled. "Oh, and where were you last night afterwards? You just disappeared. Ohh~ were you with someone special?" Aphmau didn't know who it could be, but she said it anyway, trying to get a reaction from Aaron.

To her surprise, Aaron's grip on his sleeves tightened, and his ears turned red. Aphmau tried to process what she had said and was taken aback. "Woah, did you get some action? Damn, I'm jealous! You're not usually the type who engages in sexual activities, but that's a rare occurrence—" She was interrupted mid-sentence.

"It didn't go any further; it was just a kiss," Aaron blurted out, realizing he had revealed more than he intended. He sighed, saying, "Damn it." Aphmau chuckled. "Seems like you're not so good at keeping secrets now, haha. Mr. Mysterious boy from the past was really good at being mysterious, but now?" She laughed at Aaron, who hid himself behind his own arms.

"Oh, come on, big guy. It's alright. Besides, I don't even know who you kissed last night, so you don't have to worry," she said playfully, trying to lighten the mood.

As Aaron tried to hide his face in embarrassment, they finally started having a conversation, asking each other basic questions and getting to know one another better.

After five minutes, Aphmau brought up something else. "You know, there's a swimming park opening this summer. What do you think? Let's all go next week," she suggested. Aaron pondered for a while before responding, "Everyone's a mess right now, so... maybe next month. They all need some rest."

"Oh, wait! There's this small fair that's open until fall. I want to bring someone with me, but... it's quite impossible," Aphmau sighed, a hint of longing in her voice.

Aaron was a bit confused about what she meant, but then Kim suddenly appeared and approached them. "Hey, guys! Sorry if I made you wait for long. But, bad news, I'll have to stay another five minutes," Kim announced. Aaron understood the situation and looked at Aphmau, who was unexpectedly staring at Kim, her eyes locked on her with a gentle gaze. Aaron became even more confused. "Aph? Kim said she's going to have to stay for another five minutes. Is that okay with you?"

As obvious as it was, Aaron didn't bring up Aphmau's intense gaze.

Just then, Aaron received the reaction he was expecting. Aphmau jolted and looked at him with wide eyes, quickly calming herself down. "O-Oh, okay. That's fine for me. I could wait another five. How about you, Aaron?" she said, trying to divert the curiosity she had inadvertently revealed.

Raising an eyebrow, Aaron smirked, playing along. Kim smiled and said, "Thank you. I'm really sorry for making you guys wait. I'll make sure to finish up early!" She then walked away, heading back to the backroom where she worked as a cook and waitress. Aphmau's eyes followed her, a soft smile lingering on her face.

"So... what should we do after this?" Aaron asked, capturing Aphmau's attention and surprising her a bit. "Oh, uh, we can go shopping, grab some food or snacks, and then explore the mall, checking out things that catch our interest. That's usually what we do," she explained.

Although Aaron's expression clearly showed that he had noticed Aphmau's devoted gaze towards Kim, she gulped nervously. "Man, I know you noticed I was staring at her, but don't misunderstand. It's just a silly little crush it'll fade away in a month," she confidently declared. Aaron chuckled. "I didn't even mention it, but thanks for acknowledging the obvious," he replied with a smile.

"Anyway, about the fair you mentioned earlier, how about we invite a few more people to join us? Four sounds good, right?" Aaron suggested. "Wait, you mean we each bring one person?" Aphmau clarified, and Aaron nodded in confirmation.

"That would be a great idea! But... we're all currently broke, so... we'll have to wait until fall. Summer isn't really the best time, especially with the upcoming heatwave this week... it'll be a disaster," she pointed out.

"That's true... I guess this summer is all about working and resting, huh?" Aaron replied.

"Yep~ Anyway, how's your mini job?" she asked.

"Well, it's going okay. I decided to take on double shifts this time. I'm not working full-time, but it's manageable, I guess. The only problem is that I have to work at a bar..." Aphmau's eyes widened in concern.

"Seriously? A bar? Aaron, are you sure about that?" she said, sounding worried.

"I can handle it. After all, I know how things function there. Since the day I started college, I took a job at a grocery store. I know the paychecks are often low, but I took advantage of it and kept working while saving the rest for my everyday expenses. You know that I'm still not over my rebellious phase from back then, right?" Aaron admitted, feeling a bit embarrassed but needing to be honest.

"Damn, I know about the rebellious part, but are you sure you can handle it? Are you really sure about this job?" she said, expressing her concern.

"Yeah... I know I might have enough money, but... just in case, you know? Just don't tell my sister. She'll go crazy if she finds out, haha," Aaron said as he nervously rubbed his sleeves.

"Fine, I won't tell," Aphmau replied, sounding a bit defeated.

Minutes passed by, and Kim finally finished her shift. The trio proceeded with their plans and went to the mall, everything seeming normal. However, Aaron found himself questioning his feelings for Aphmau. Instead of growing stronger, his feelings seemed to gradually fade away.

Aaron still didn't have the answer, but he was willing to go deeper and search for the answers he needed. However, a new obstacle emerged in his path—Ein's unexpected confession caught him off guard. It truly did, and now his curiosity about Him grew even more.