Magnum Opus

I rushed through the reddened hallway wings splayed, making a beeline for the childhood bedroom. An angel with hell's fury.

Only to collide into a force field summoned by Death itself.

"Zaharial...you've returned to your former glory." Saint Germain gasped while performing the ritual.  The door to Hell wavered from his break in focus, but he regained control by the threat of his master.

The entity  behind him made every feather on my body stiffened.

Death. The Grim responsible for my choir's demise.  There he stood, a skeletal wraith shrouded in the screaming souls of his victims. His eyes empty sockets, gleaming hatred at his ancient enemy. "You're too late, Egrigori." The Grim sneered. "Even in your regained power you don't stand a chance against me. I've grown stronger since we've last fought, far stronger than when I consumed the essences of your pathetic brood, and I've  spent my time well."

My eyes widened recognizing his voice.

"Ah! You remember me don't you? We crossed paths a while back in our mortal forms. I was the vampire you met in the woods. Varney was the name I took.  You didn't recognize me, but I sure as fuck recognized you. I made the mistake of not killing you there and then, but it doesn't matter. Not now, Once it's all done your soul is mine, along with your legacies and your mongrel boyfriend. Where is he? He should be here for the family reunion."

At the Grim's skeletal feet lay a patchwork abomination composed of male and female corpses. The Rebis, the Magnum Opus. The worst thing Alchemy could ever create. I continuously hit  the barrier with my glaive, slashing it  also with talons and claws, but it would not break, Death held it strong. Nor could I close  the Door while it stood. I need to break through or all will be lost!

Footsteps scuffled behind me. My friends have followed.

"Oh my God. That is actually Death." Trevor gasped.

"What? That's  supposed to be the Grim Reaper himself?" Alucard growled skeptically.

"That's what Death looks like?" Sypha watched in horror.

"No, that's the Angel of Death. Archangel Azrael." Trevor explained. "This creature was her servant until it got too greedy for its own good. Death is the name it took to mock her. It's like a vampire only it feeds on whatever leaves us when we die. The family books called it an elemental spirit that disguises itself to serve power."

I hit the barrier again  to no avail.

"We saw an old vampire jump through the mirror in Targoviste." Sypha observed.

"There's no one else in there. That was him. He was probably part of Dracula's court." Trevor looked at me concerned. "It wiped out the Watchers a millennium ago, and the remaining survivor managed to defeat it with the help of my ancestor."

I've never seen such fear in Alucard's eyes. "Get back! I can't lose you again!"

"You won't. Stand back a bit! Zaharial, strike when I give the command!" I nodded and watched him hit the barrier with the Morningstar. "Now!" I struck my glaive against where the whip aimed. Morningstar and Heavenly glaive together . Again and again, one after the other,  barely making a crack.

We were too late, like a puppet pulled by strings Saint Germain completed the ritual. The souls of Dracula and Lisa were pulled out of Hell, desperately clinging to one another intertwined  as they were sucked into the Rebis.

NO!!!! My scream released as a roar.

The Rebis convulsed, the sheer power of two souls forced into one body cracked the walls and ceilings before righting itself up,  jerking on its feet and writhing in pain.  Hearing that thing scream was the most terrifying sound in my immortal existence. Raw and distorted from a cadaver's vocal chords, and wrought with utter agony.