History |Colosseum

The chapter will be in Arabic and English.

An overview of it and it's history:

is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy, just east of the Rome . 

هو مدرج بيضاوي الشكل في وسط مدينة روما ، إيطاليا ، شرق المنتدى الروماني .

It is the largest ancient amphitheatre ever built, and is still the largest standing amphitheatre in the world, despite its age.

انه أكبر مدرج قديم تم بناؤه على الإطلاق ، ولا ولايزال أكبر مدرج قائم في العالم ، على الرغم من عمره. 

Construction began under the emperor Vespasian (r. 69–79 AD) in 72 and was completed in 80 AD under his successor and heir, Titus (r. 79–81).

بدأ البناء في عهد الامبراطور فيسباسيان (حكم من ٦٩_٧٩م)في ٧٢م واكتمل في عهد خليفته تيتوس(حكم من ٦٩_٨١ م).

Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (r. 81–96). The three emperors who were patrons of the work are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named the Flavian Amphitheatre (Latin: Amhitheatrum Flavium; Italian: Anfiteatro Flavio  by later classicists and archaeologists for its association with their family name (Flavius).

  تم إجراء المزيد من التعديلات في عهد دوميتيان (حكم 81-96).  يُعرف الأباطرة الثلاثة الذين كانوا رعاة العمل باسم سلالة فلافيان ، وتم تسمية المدرج بمدرج فلافيان (لاتيني: أمفيثياتروم فلافيوم ؛ الإيطالي: أنفيتيترو فلافيو من قبل الكلاسيكيين وعلماء الآثار لاحقًا لارتباطه بعائلاتهم  اسم (فلافيوس).

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Why was the Colosseum built?

The Colosseum is built of travertine* limestone, tuff*(volcanic rock), and brick-faced concrete*. It could hold an estimated 50,000 to 80,000 spectators at various points in its history, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial* contests and public spectacles* including animal hunts*, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Roman mythology*, and briefly mock sea battles*. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era*. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress*, a quarry*, and a Christian shrine.