Hale runs a hand over his jaw, and I notice he looks tired, eyes sunken like he didn't sleep much last night. I don't think any of us did. "He's just going through some things right now. Maybe we should leave him at home for today."

Grandpa shakes his head. "Nonsense. I'll talk to him. You guys start loading up the cars. Macy, make sure Jack and Leah and all the kids are ready to go."

"Sure," Mom nods. She kisses Hale and heads over to the house next door.

Nate gives me a particular look before taking off to prepare the cars. He's so irritating right now, and I don't like it. Hale follows, still obviously wound up. I pour myself some coffee and wait at the kitchen table until we're ready.

— — —

Liam: Are you seriously dating Mason now?

I stare at the text, the sun gleaming through my window, warming up the left side of my head. I Think He Knows is playing through my headphones, and I was trying to have a good mood for this trip, but that text just turned it sour.

I pull my headphones off and set them on my lap, sighing. Grayson sits in the back with me, just a few feet over. His eyes are closed, and he's resting his head back on the headrest. God, he's so lovely to look at.

He opens his eyes, giving me the side eye. "What?"

I shake my head, turning back to face the front. "Nothing."

Grayson, Grandma, Grandpa, and I are in this car. Iris, Maya, Nate, Asher, and Brett in one. And Uncle Jack, Aunt Caroline, Uncle Dom, and Aunt Leah in one. And Mom and Hale in the last to have their alone time.

My phone buzzes again.

Grayson: Got tired of listening to Taylor already?

I look at him. He's smiling with his head down, focused on his phone.

Layla: How do you know I was listening to Taylor?

Grayson: I could hear it, baby.

I look over to glare at him. He has a playful look in his eyes, making me turn my attention back to my screen because I don't want him to see me blushing.

Layla: Should I turn it up more so you can listen too?

Grayson: No. I'd rather listen to a thirty-hour compilation of nails scratching on a chalkboard. But thank you kindly for the offer.

I silently chuckle in my seat. Grandpa and Grandma continue to chat, oblivious to what's happening in the back.

Layla: One day, you're going to listen to Miss Swift and eat up every lyric and bridge.

Grayson: In hell, yes, probably.

Layla: I really hate you.

Grayson: No, you don't.

I really don't.

"Sorry, kids, I need to use the restroom. Is it all right if we stop for a few minutes?" Grandma asks from the passenger seat.

I lock my phone and slip it back into my pocket. "That's fine.

Grayson nods in agreement.

After a few minutes of driving, Grandpa pulls into a tiny strip and parks in front of a gas station and convenience store.

"It's hot today," Grandpa sighs, rubbing his forehead. "I'm going to get a soda. Would you guys like one?"

"I'll take a Sprite," I say, fiddling with the headphones in my lap.

His Sweet RevengeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara