Chapter 12 - Slipping Through My Fingers

The cub climbed onto the larger than life throne, as if it were a mountain he intended to conquer.

He could barely even get a good foothold on the very first step, but he kept going!

(It'll be his throne someday!)

(Will it?)

So cold...

Once he was finally able to get up, he plopped down on the throne with a grin. Crossing his arms as he welled up with pride.

As he nodded in satisfaction he heard clapping.

"Daddy!" The young cub stretched out their tiny arms towards their caretaker.

The King chuckled as he lifted his son up into the air. "I'm so proud of you."

"Ugh. Dad, you tell me that all the time!" The cub groaned as the King placed him on his lap.

"Yes. I do."

(Why did he look so sad?)

Why was it...

Cold...

"But you must remember that when you return."

"Return?" The cub titled his head, curious as ever.

The King patted the cub's head. There wasn't a single puff of red fur on it, not yet anyway.

(When I grow up, I'm gonna have the biggest mane! Just like dad!)

(But I do.)

(What...)

Cold...

"I'm sorry you can't stay here. I promise we'll see each other again but you  have to keep going. Keep on living for them. And know when it's all over, I'll be here. And I'll be proud of you, no matter what happens. As long as you try then I will be proud!"

"What do you mean? Go? Go where? Dad?" The cub asked, taking his Dad's hand.

Cold...

His father smiled and the cub finally noticed all the others beside him. All the lions of his tribe.

(Where they proud to?)

Longtooth. Leonidas. Lenox. Everyone.

(His family.)

All giving him looks of reassurance,

Cold...

(Wait.)

that everything was going to be okay.

Cold...

(They we're-)

Gone.

Warm...

"Dad!" Laval sobbed as he felt tears fall from his eyes. Lagravis pulled him close, softly patting his red mane as Laval hugged him with all his might. He had to make up for his missing arm after all.

Bright...

"Please... don't... go..." he cried out in between sobs. His Dad lifted his check up, still giving him that reassuring smile.

"We'll be here for you."

Burning...