Chapter 39 - The Promise

Start from the beginning

Chad made me realize that there's more to life than popularity and social status.

Like what?

Love.

The moment I saw him, I immediately ran and hug him. I heard him let out a soft chuckle, before he wrapped his arms around my body and drew circles on my back with his thumb. It was the most comforting feeling in the world—it was compelling and addicting, I almost didn't want to let go. We could stay like this forever for all I care.

Funny how a simple gesture like this, can make you feel different level of emotions with the right person.

When you know, you know.

Chad was tall, with rounded posture, and broad shoulders. Probably a swimmer's body thing? Knowing that he was that athletic, I became more aware of his features. Before, I haven't noticed it as he was hiding all this under his loose shirts. But, it's more evident now that I was close to him, hugging him. Well, I guess at some point I might have noticed it, I just refused to give in and drool over him. But now, I just don't care.

Do you still practice swimming?

I wanted to ask him this question, actually there were a lot of things in my head that I've been dying to talk about with him, but instead, I rested my head on his chest, feeling his fast heartbeat, and asked, "Did I ever apologize to all the mean things I did to you before?" I tightened my hold on him as I finally asked the thing that had been bugging me since last night.

"What?" Chad asked. He pushed me gently, held my chin up, and examined my face. "Now where this is all coming from?"

I closed my eyes instantly, afraid that I might breakdown again at this moment! How many times did I cry in front of him in less than 24 hours?

"I was mean to you. Bullied you even. What I did before was bad. I know it was the football team, but like what you said, I..."

"You already apologized for that." He blurted out in a reassuring tone. He pulled me closer, and I bury my face to his chest. His heartbeat—the sound was like a hypnosis, calming me down. "I was mean to you and bullied you as well." He added as he stroke my hair.

"I deserve it." I mumbled as I tightened my embrace.

"Well, no one deserves to be bullied and be treated badly no matter who and what they are."

Again, with his kindness and wisdom. How can someone who has been through a lot still be capable of kindness and compassion? It was too unreal. I never would have guessed that behind those blue eyes, his killer smiles, and warm affection, there was a trauma behind it.

That kind of betrayal was on a different level.

"But who am I to lecture about all this. For all I know, I think I owe you an apology, too."

This time, it was my turn to be confused. I pulled away and looked at him. "Apology for what?"

"Well, before all of this started," he chuckled as he gestured to the both of us which made me blush in the process, "I was actually too quick to judge you. I get so easily triggered by your actions, and always think of the worse. I was actually quite judgey, especially after that day at the auditorium—the club introductions." Chad was laughing as he recalled our first encounter.

I wanted to laugh with him, but there was something about what he said that made my chest hurt.

Triggered.

Now I understand why he was snappy at me the first time we meet, and tried his best to avoid the likes of me. He was so determined to stay away from me, but I was the one who kept on coming on him, provoking him.