"I was never anyone's slave. Please don't call me that!" Joy retorted, her face etched with frowns.

"What will you do if she calls you a slave?" Callen snarled menacingly.

"Nothing. I just had to let her know I am not a slave. I am the Luna's personal slave, and that's all. Can I go in now?" She seethed, her tone filled with irritation and exasperation.

"Be careful how you mingle with that cursed shit. You won't want to end up like her." Sophia snorted and hissed, but Joy couldn't stand talking with them anymore. She walked away and hurried into the room, shutting the door.

I could feel her heavy breath when she drew close to me, hanging the cup over me.

"I hate them!" She gritted, hissing as I gently drank the water. 

"I had a dream when I passed out." I said, and her eyes lit up in curiosity.

"What did you see?" 

She sat beside me with rapt attention.

"A woman that looks like the moon goddess told me why my powers are fluctuating. The key to unlocking it is my mate's mark." I said, and she flinched, her face grimacing in disgust.

"You mean Callen's mark!" She scoffed, and I shook my head.

"No. It can't be that prick. We are talking about Jaden here. We both need each other to fight against the demons planning a dead attack on both us and the vampire clan." I explained, and she exhaled in relief but frowned when it clicked with her how hard it would be for me to be with Jaden.

"We will find a way. Let's sleep." She whispered, and we both lay down to sleep.

******

Jake's POV

I woke up very early in the day, at dawn, when almost everyone was still sleeping. It was the right moment for me to visit Jaden and talk with him. This was the day Selene's fate would be decided, and it was already written on the wall what it would be.

I had thought all through it, racking my brain to find out if there was any way I could save the girl, but it kept glaring right at me how impossible it was. The knights are the best fighters in this clan, as they are not only highly skilled but also have great strategies on how to carry out missions.

This was surely going to be the easiest mission for them because Selene wouldn't even be able to smell their scent and would see them as normal members of the pack, and what makes it worse for Selene is that she is hated by her own pack.

They will do nothing to save her from the attack. I don't know what plans they have yet, but all I know is that Selene's survival is close to impossible.

I was already having headaches from different thoughts battering my head, so now I just have to meet Jaden, and maybe we can think of something together. 

Silently, I left the bed and wore my slippers, still on my sleeping robe, as I tiptoed out, making sure I didn't make unnecessary noise that would draw attention to me.

His room was on the floor above the one where my room was. I was staying close to him before, but for a reason I don't know, the queen changed it. 

Keeping a straight face, I climbed up the stairs, ignoring the stares of the night guards. 

When I got to his door, I pulled her ears close and was stunned to see him talking to himself, so I knocked.

"Who is there?!" He yelled, and anger was all that could be read from his voice. I heard he hadn't left this room since he left the palace, refusing to eat or meet with his parents.

"It's me, Jake. Open, let's talk, bro." I breathed, and in a few seconds, I heard the clanks of the locks before the door gave way. I entered, and he looked right and left outside before shutting the door and locking it with all the locks built on it.

"You aren't sleeping." I sighed, flopping on the bed while he stood in front of me, hands folded.

"What are you here for?" He snapped, a frown on his face, as he stared at me intently.

"To talk about how we are going to stop it. I can't bear seeing Selene dead. No. She is Joy's friend and my best friend's girlfriend. I won't be able to live with the pain of watching her killed." I exhaled, letting out a shrug.

"So you want to help me and betray my father?" He asked sternly, and I chuckled. 

"Joy is the reason why I don't want Selene dead. If she realizes it's the vampire that killed her, I will never have a chance to be with her. She will hate me to the core!" I hissed and saw how his eyes lit up, a smile gracing his face, until he began to laugh.

"Bro, are we both in love with werewolves?" He laughed, and I couldn't help joining him as we both laughed, not even knowing what was actually funny. It shouldn't be funny that we are both betraying our kingdom.

"So what's the plan? Because I can't afford to lose Joy, not when I haven't even gotten to enjoy any moment with her." I chirped, ignoring the brooding of anxiety inside my heart, warning me of how suicidal everything was.

At that moment, I didn't care a bit.

"My ring has been dissolved, and I can't hide my scent from the werewolves with it anymore. You will give me yours because I am leaving now." He stated bluntly, and my eyes narrowed at him.

"And you know before you will be back, I'll be in the grave. I will be killed for giving you that." I sighed.

"That is not if I force you to do it." He smirked, and I arched my brows, confused about what he meant, but before I could fully understand, he attacked me in his beast form.

His claws pierced me deeply, and I felt his long, sharp fangs sinking into my flesh so deeply that the pain I felt was chilling. I wanted to scream out of the intense pain, but he was quick to cover my mouth.

The next minute, my ring was removed, and I fell, almost unconscious, as every part of my body bled profusely. 

I was groaning in the excruciating pain that ate deep into my bones, tears finding their way down my face.

"I am very sorry." He murmured, holding my hand and kissing the back of my palm. "This is the only way for them to believe you didn't betray this kingdom. I love you." He winked and pecked my cheek. All pain vanished instantly, and I found myself smiling uncontrollably as my heart fluttered and my stomach felt like there were butterflies in it.

He cleaned all the blood stain from his body, changed his clothes, and dashed out.