04| Encounter

Morona McCallister

Morona McCallister

I stepped out, locked the door and began my journey to work.

I strolled on the sidewalk with my eyes down.

Just then, I heard Raven calling my name and jogging towards me.

He seemed out of breath and said, "I'm really sorry."

What?

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

"I want to apologise for the way I touched you at the party. I hope I didn't make you feel uncomfortable or upset. I don't want to leave a bad impression on you," he explained.

It's odd that he's apologising now, given that he's always been touchy.

"Raven, you've always acted this way. I'm confused as to why you're apologising," I stated.

"I just - I don't know, I just noticed that you seemed distressed in that moment. I don't want to be seen as a pervert in your eyes or anyone else's," he responded.

He let out a deep breath and nervously played with his hands, like a kid.

"Okay," I responded, but he could tell I wasn't convinced.

"Rona, I'm being serious, I'm sorry," he said, earnestly.

"Alright, Raven, I forgive you. Is that what you wanted to hear?" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air dramatically.

I turned and walked away from him, muttering to myself about being late for work.

But he caught up to me and began walking alongside me.

He winced as he touched his face, specifically his jaw.

I noticed bruises and cuts on his face, but they seemed to be healing.

I remembered seeing the bruises and cuts at the party, before they looked fresh.

"Raven," I called out.

"Yes," he answered.

I asked him, "What happened to your face? It's all bruised and beaten up."

We continued walking in silence as he didn't say anything.

"Raven?" I called out, again.