"Again?" We were in dangerous territory, I couldn't take my eyes off of the drinks as he carried them over.

"Seems like you've been doing a lot more than twiddling your thumbs waiting for me today." I went cold, and he handed me one of the glasses. "Better to be safe, you first."

"Only if you insist."

I took the glass from him, willing my hand not to shake. I downed the drink in one long pull, steeling myself as the liquid fire burned down my throat.

Jack chuckled, pacified, and finally took a sip of his own.

"They say women kill with poison."

"Funny, I've always preferred my gun."

Jack cocked his head in warning.

"You're brave to joke about that. Bringing up your last betrayal while we are in the midst of another."

I rolled my eyes to hide my fear.

"That was a long time ago, and," I placed my empty glass back on the bar, "I am sure I don't know what you are talking about."

My knees were growing weak, and I floated casually over to the bed, climbing up and sitting demurely with my legs tucked to my side.

Jack took another sip, watching me carefully for any sign of recognition. He began pacing the carpet, clinking his drink as he swirled the glass, the crunch of crystal beneath his shoes a reminder of the violence seething just beneath his mask of composure.

"This morning you caught me in a vulnerable moment."

"We can always be vulnerable with one another."

He pondered my response, never stopping his pacing or taking slow sips.

"Well then let me be frank. Your plan was stupid, and would never have worked."

"Plan?" I kept my voice monotone, digging my nails into my palm to center myself and curb the panic.

"I got a very interesting call this morning, from someone I've had dealings with before."

"Oh that's nice," I yawned, "are you going to pace all night, or join me here?"

Jack stopped his walking, and turned to face me.

"It wasn't nice so much as it was revealing."

"Hmm?" My desperation was growing. "I can be more revealing if that's what you're looking for."

He let out a short, barking laugh.

"We can fuck if you want, but don't you want to hear first how Mulch is on his way to kill all your little Pilot friends?"

My blood ran cold, and I sat up straight, all pretenses dropped.

"No he's not."

"Well we can't have them calling any more people on Cynabar, can we?"

Motherfucker.

"Who told you."

"Oh, we'll get to that. I'd rather take a quick trip down memory lane, first."

Jack finished his first drink and poured another, confidently striding over to the bed and sitting much too close.

"You see, two years ago I'd almost forgotten about you, Holly." He leaned in conspiratorially.

"In a position like mine, there are many women to choose from. Even now, I can snap my fingers and a dozen leap at me, eager to please."

My stomach was rolling, I wanted to throw up. The alcohol on his breath was sour as it washed over me.