xvii | silver fish

KEY:

sahana / veer

Veer didn't know what to expect when he agreed to attend Keerthy's reception but it definitely wasn't this. White pillars with gold embellishments welcomed him into the venue, leading to a grand hall with orange and yellow lights. Everything was sparkling — from the flowers to the women waltzing around wearing heavy lehengas and saree. Veer searched for the men, hoping they weren't shimmering as well because that would make him feel incredibly out of place. His father had insisted he wear the satin-like maroon shirt and black trousers even though he wanted to go for something lighter. He hoped Sahana didn't feel like a loser having to sit with him through the evening.

The second Sahana heard Keerthy's collegemates whispering about a drool-worthy handsome man looking lost by the entrance, she knew it was Veer. She excused herself from the chatty dressing room, causing Ishita to wiggle her eyebrows knowingly. She blushed and checked her phone. There were three text messages from him. When she walked outside, hoping to catch him by surprise, he was already looking at her.

Veer could feel the ladies in the welcoming committee whispering about him. It was getting uncomfortable and he was so close to hiding back in his car when he caught sight of the pink lips that drove him fucking crazy every day since he saw them up close. He tried not to look like a man seeing the stars for the first time in his life when Sahana stepped out. But oh god, he was failing. She was in a maroon-coloured velvet saree with a maroon-netted pallu embellished with golden sequins and borders. Her blouse plunged into a V down her neck, tempting the wandering eyes. And she called him dangerous.

"Hey," she said, beckoning him in. A blush was already creeping up her neck and he knew it was because of the way he was staring at her. He followed, trying not to let his eyes linger on the curve of her hips and her ass in that gorgeous velvet. Fuck, he was losing it.

"Jaan," he interrupted. She whirled around, eyes searching his. "Is there any place we can be alone? Just for a little bit. Without these prying eyes."

She was quick to nod, leading him through the back door to the back of the hall. It was a little patch of land, housing a couple coconut trees. The serial lights weren't clustered in this area, leaving only one or two twinkling at them.

"What happened? Are you okay?" she asked, holding his elbow. Gold bangles clinked around her hands, the mirrored golden earring dancing under her ears. "Are you uncomfortable?"

"I am going crazy, jaan," Veer said, taking her by the arm and pressing her against a tree.

There were rare moments in her life when she was rendered speechless. For example, the time when Ragav decided that noodles and rasam was a terrific combination, or the first time she had watched her mother agree to everything her father said even though she knew it wasn't true. Seeing Veer in his maroon satin shirt and those tailored-to-cause-instant-drooling black pants made her insides clench in a good way. She couldn't get out a proper word or sentence.

When he suggested they go somewhere private, she agreed there was no better idea. And when he pinned her against a tree and said, "I'm going crazy, jaan," while looking at her like she was something edible, her heart beat went erratic.

"Why?" she asked, barely a whisper.

"You have no fucking right looking so fucking beautiful, firecracker. I want to worship you," he bit out, his breath mingling with hers. He smelled like musk and fern again. "You're making this very difficult."

"Difficult for what?"

"To not kidnap you and keep you with me."

His words injected her with confidence and she placed her palms over his chest, feeling his heart thrum for her. "That sounds very kinky, Mr Veer. So wrong too."

"But are you interested?" he teased.

Sahana grew hot all over. "Stop," she murmured.

"And why the fuck are we colour-coordinating like we are married already?"

"Honestly, I am surprised too," she said, enjoying how his fingers traced the bare skin of her hip. "But it feels great. Even if it's just a happy coincidence."

Veer ran his nose over the length of her neck and hummed, "Do you have your lipstick with you?"

"No. My purse is with Ishita. Why?" she asked, even though she had a feeling she knew why.

"Is your lipstick transfer-proof?"

"Yes."

"Can I kiss you, baby?"

Veer had never called her baby but the way the world rolled off his tongue in his gruff voice made her skin dot with goosebumps. She loved it. Her body reacted to those words before her mind could. She pushed against him, raising herself on her tip-toes to meet his lips. Veer's lips were warm and tasted like cocoa butter. She wanted to ask him what lip balm he was using because it was so goddamn addictive but Veer bit her bottom lip slightly, his hand tightening on her hip. She gasped, clutching his shoulders, hoping her freshly done nails wouldn't chip off. "I've been thinking about these lips for so damn long," he whispered. "And this goddamn mouth that lashes out. My favourite."

Veer searched her eyes for consent and she nodded, too drunk off his warmth and the new feeling curling up her spine. He kissed her lips again and slipped his tongue in. Sahana couldn't help but chase his kiss, her eyes falling shut. She had never known a kiss could feel this good. It made her want to abandon sense and reason and be his voluntary prisoner. The kiss turned wet and needy and when a slight moan slipped out of her lips, she knew she had to stop. If anyone heard them, it was going to summon all the chaos in the world. "Veer," she breathed, pulling away and pressing her forehead against his, her chest falling and rising.

"I think you got scammed, firecracker," he said, his voice raspy. He swiped the corner of her mouth and showed her the pink stain. "Your lipstick isn't kiss proof."

Sahana laughed and wiped the stain off his lips, her eyes never leaving his. "Not that I mind but why are you staring at me like that?" Veer asked.

"Because you look mad hot right now. This stubble," she ran a finger over his jaws, "these eyes and this hair --- you're perfect. That actor in that dubbed Hindi serial doesn't stand a chance against you." She ran her fingers gently through the hair at the nape of his neck.

"All yours, jaan," he whispered, kissing her forehead and pulling away. She adjusted her saree and her blouse which had dipped lower somehow. Veer's eyes hadn't lowered below her neck, not even once. That small detail made something bloom in her chest. Was it respect? Affection? Love?

She combed her hair out of her face and asked him, "Do I look like I've just had the best kiss of my life?"

A predictable smirk took over Veer's face, pleased with her compliment. "Yes but I'm sure no one will suspect a thing. It will be our little secret." He winked at her, making her shake her head.