Chapter 3

I felt a constant nudging on my shoulder and I woke up fluttering my eyes open.

Frick.

I had slept through Spanish. How did I do this to myself?

I have no idea.

I look up and see everyone seated in their class but it's not the classmates I see every day. Then I see a black-haired girl towering over me giving me an evil glare. "It's third period."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so so sorry." I instantly apologize as I pick up my bag and throw it over my back as I yawned tiredly.

I went over to my class, Chemistry, and Ms. Schubert turned her attention to me and gave me a death glare. "Ms. Hernandez, can you explain to me why you're ten minutes late?"

Did she really have to say all that to the entire class?

"I fell accidentally fell asleep in class that's all." I apologize merely to her.

"It better not happen again." She gives me the same look and returns back into her lesson. I go to my seat as other classmates leave their eyes on me and avert their attention back to Ms. Schubert.

"Dude, why were you so late?" Kaleb asks with a worried expression as he alerts my attention to me.

"I slept through Spanish accidentally." I laugh it off, knowing that I didn't get enough sleep last night after what had happened.

"Oh okay, just making sure you're okay." Kaleb gives me a small smile. Kaleb is the most overprotective and worried friend in our friend group. So I guess I can see why he picked on Miles.

But he shouldn't have. He doesn't even know Miles.

Not everyone is downright a villain.

During Chemistry, we do laboratory study research and answer the lab questions for the last half an hour of the class.

■ □ □ □ ■

Then it's lunch, I sneak past my other friends and I spot Miles. I sit beside him and say, "Hi! How are you doing?" I smile at him as I get my lunch out.

I notice he has a scratch near his eyebrow. I get curious but I don't mention it. "I'm doing okay, how about you?"

"I'm doing good, how is your family?" I ask.

"They're making a living which I'm grateful for, especially my mom." He runs his hands through his braided hair.

"Same, my dad works on the house while my mom cooks for us which I'm thankful for."

"Where were you yesterday?" He makes eye contact with me.

Oh frick.

What if he heard Kaleb saying all those things to him? No, he wouldn't have.

"Oh, I just got caught up with some friends, that was all," I explain.

"Hmm.." He looks down at his food and stares at it.

Now I feel bad.

"I'm sorry you had to eat alone yesterday. I didn't mean to leave you alone." I apologize for my absence.

"Oh no it's alright, anyway, what are your hobbies?" He changes the subject.

"I ski, paint, and read. Not really much to my list."

"What do you paint?" He asks, noticing that I did my studying on how to talk normally.

"Either sceneries, flowers, mountains, oceans, and other things."