Mission: Mission Creek High

Start from the beginning

I had a familiarity with that lab's technology due to Davenport explaining everything as he salvaged it not too long ago. Everything here is different. I doubt anything that had managed to stick in my mind is useful here. I'd have to relearn everything and I hate to waste more of Davenport's time. I would even pause before asking for Chase's help though I know he would not mind. I'd rather he not know the depths of my stupidity.

"Guys, look at all these upgrades. Mr. Davenport, this place is amazing," Chase says after finishing his sweep.

"Of course it is. I designed it," Davenport says.

Leo purposefully clears his throat to garner attention.

"Ahem!"

Filled with exasperation, Davenport's shouts, "Fine! We designed it! We! We!" He gives us a tour, emphasizing each device with a yell, "Upgraded capsules, bam! Quantum processing super computer, bam! Four dimensional combat simulator, bam! This, my friends, is what a multi million dollar makeover looks like."

"Is there a mini fridge?" Adam asks, not caring about or perhaps not understanding everything Davenport listed. I'm certain I don't know what a quantum processing computer is or what it can do.

"No," Davenport replies, his tone tight.

He turns to his siblings, while talking out of the side of his mouth he says, "I bet our real dad's lab has a mini fridge."

"Hey, Leo, where's your work station?" Bree asks and it is a fair question. I feel bad I hadn't even noticed its absence. I was over stimulated by the overall change.

"This way, children." He leads us to an empty corner of the room, he hits a button which causes a floor panel to sink before rising again with his desk.

"Whoa," I say.

"Floor in the lab is compartmentalized," he explains, "Meaning we can store things in it. May I?" Davenport gestures for Leo to go ahead. "Bam!" He adds his own flair to Davenport's catchphrase.

I see Chase's eyes wander to the corner across from Leo's desk. I'm unsure what it is but judging from his reaction, he not only knows what it is but is very happy to see it.

"Is that a nuclear magnetic resonant spectrometer? I've never seen one in person before. It's so beautiful," he says, stroking the device.

I can feel the teasing about to commence but I don't understand. The way his face lights up when he speaks of intelligent topics is so amazing. It helps soften the tightness I am feeling at how contrasting everything seems. The design is not a bad one, the compartmentalized floor is a very good storage idea but the sight of it causes me to pause as I had never been great with change as evidenced by my reaction to being implanted with bionics.

"Should we leave you two alone?" Adam begins before turning to me, "Vi, you jealous yet?"

Chase composes himself, a bit embarrassed by his show of excitement.

"I feel no animosity towards the device but his exhilarated face was quite cute," I remark, making my way toward him.

"Well, the spectrometer may be appealing but it is nowhere as lovely as you," he says.

I kiss his cheek, feeling delighted to fall back into the role of boyfriend and girlfriend so easily as if the wedge I placed between us had never existed. This familiarity helps dull the ache in me regarding the new lab and new threats hanging above our heads.

Bree, seemingly glad to change the subject, asks, "Mr. Davenport, how did you afford all this?"

He begins to explain, "Well, I used some of the money from the jet wing stunt but the rest of it I got from a huge government contract I just signed. I am developing a rocket system that will protect the earth from rogue asteroids. Thanks to this little baby, I'm on my way back up rich man mountain and, whoo, the air smells better up here!" His happiness is unparalleled and exciting to witness. After so much turmoil it's nice to see such elation among the Davenports. "Huh? Whoa! Oh, wait. There's one more thing I forgot to show you."