Chapter Thirty-four: The Decision

Start from the beginning

She was responsible for the danger Sumaia was in. Now, it was her responsibility to save the girl—no matter what. 

She called her travel agent immediately and made an urgent request to book tickets for the closest flight back to the States. Then she called Rollan and, without wasting a second, jumped straight into the subject. 

"Do you know the cafe Victor and Ben are staying at?"

After remaining silent for a couple of seconds, Roland said, "So, you know I gave him your address, and you're not mad? He sounded so desperate, and you know I'm a bit emotional—"

Victoria didn't have time for explanations. "I'm not mad, Roland. Now please, it's important. Give me his address."

"Well, I can give you that. No problem there," Roland said. "But I'm afraid you won't find him there. I heard from Ben that they were coming back and luckily got a flight that would be leaving in a couple of hours. They must be boarding that flight or already inside a flying one at this very moment."

Victoria rubbed the spot between her eyes and sighed. 

"What's the matter, Victoria? You can tell me, kid." 

She heard a fatherly tone of worry in Rollan's voice that she had never heard from her own father. It touched her. It untied the knots within her.

And Victor's words became the ultimate truth that could not be avoided anymore. The echoes of them settled within her soul permanently—

Try facing your problems for once. Try coming back to solve all that you keep running from.

Tears streamed down her face. Her old self started to melt away with them. She sniffled. "I've come to realize that I need to go down a difficult road to fix my life, Roland. The path would probably be filled with blades and fire, and I'll probably bleed and burn the whole way. But it is the only way."

Roland let out a long breath. "Those are some wise but scary words, kid. Just know that I'm with you the whole way."

Patiently, he gave Victoria a while to calm down, remaining silently with her the whole time.  

Victoria wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand. "You helped me numerous times, Roland," she said, her bloodshot eyes and red face turning firmer with a fresh conviction. "Please do me a couple of more favors."

She could almost see Roland's raised brows. 

"I never saw them as favors, kid. Since the beginning, I have always seen you as a child I needed to guide as one of my own," his tone was honest. "Now, what do you want me to do?"

--

Pedro was shocked to hear about Victoria's sudden departure. He seemed deeply sad the whole time he was with her until the immigration. 

"The apartment you've stayed in will still be yours for at least one more month after you decide to give notice," Pedro said as she stood before him. The regular announcements of the airport were a constant in the background. "I just want to tell you that it will be extremely easy and convenient if you decide to come back in this timeline."

What could Victoria do other than nod? The war she was going to dive headfirst into now was her maximum priority. 

Pedro patted her back in a friendly manner when they got into a goodbye hug. 

"I've found a great friend in you in such a short period of time, Pedro," Victoria said with honesty.

"So have I—" he replied with a smile. "This is not a goodbye for life."