Chapter Six•Something From Nothing

Start from the beginning

"Oh, c'mon. There's a boy throwing rocks at your window telling you to come outside, and you're worried about school?"

He had a point. "Let me go make sure my mom is sleeping. I'lll meet you in my driveway in five." She shut her window and found the best outfit she could find and went downstairs. She saw her mom's door was shut, meaning that she was asleep. Eliza tied her shoes and quietly crept out her garage door.

There she found Dave in her driveway, clutching his skateboard. Her heart fluttered, happy to see him again.

"Where are we going?" Eliza asked.

"Wanna just go hang out in my room?" Dave asked.

"Ummm, I don't know about that Dave. How would your mom feel if she found out that I snuck into your room?"

"Trust me, she's sound asleep. And we're not gonna do anything weird, don't worry."

"I guess." Eliza said as she followed him into his house towards his room.

He opened his bedroom door for her. She shouldn't have been surprised at all about what he'd revealed to her.

His room was covered in posters from different bands, signed setlists duct taped to his wall, a few different guitars hung by their necks, and a rusty old drumset shoved in the corner. Of course, there was also loads of dirty laundry and used plates scattered around, in the typical teenage boy fashion.

"Wow, Dave."

"I know right." Shooting her his classic toothy grin. He shoved some clothes off his bed and motioned for her to take a seat.

"So, how was your day?" Dave asked.

"Well, seeing that I did absolutely nothing, I'd say pretty good."

"If I spent a whole day doing nothing, I think I'd lose my mind." He responded.

Eliza sat there, thinking how odd it was that he just invited her up to his room, with no other intention to just talk? And he had been acting very strange, seemingly  like they'd talked every day in their lives.

"Dave, this might be a weird question, but isn't this a little odd? I mean like, what are we doing-"

She was cut off by the phone on his nightstand ringing. He eagerly picked up, and Eliza wondered who could possibly be on the other end of the phone.

"Oh really? Man that sucks. Sure, I'll be over in twenty." Dave hung up.

"Who was that?" Eliza asked, sad that it sounded that their night would already be over.

"It was my buddy Franz, the guy that you met at the restaurant yesterday? He just called and asked me to play with his band tonight. Their drummer got sick, and they called me to fill in!"

"Oh, Dave, that's great!"

He paused. "Hey, why don't you come with me to the show?" He asked.

"No, that's ok. It's getting late and I-"

"Come on. It'll be fun! You can meet the guys and watch me play."

"I've never been to anything like that. I wouldn't even know what to wear." Of course, Eliza wanted to go with David. To go spend time with him and watch him play would be a great opportunity to grow closer to him. But, she was shy and wasn't sur she was going to enjoy being crammed into some club with a bunch of people she'd never met.

Dave went over and reached into his closet. He pulled out a red and black flannel. "Here, put this on. You got some black pants at your house?"

"Yeah." She said as she took the flannel and tossed it over her shoulder. "I'll go change. Meet back in your driveway?"

"Sure, but don't take too long. Show's in half an hour."

She nodded and he walked her back down to her house. She snuck back inside and hurried up to her room. She found a cropped black tank top and a pair of black ripped jeans to wear with Dave's flannel. She tossed her long, blonde hair up into a high ponytail, grabbed her purse, and headed back downstairs. She went into the closet by her front door in search of a pair of shoes that would match the occasion. Thankfully, she pulled up her mom's pair of black boots. She threw them on and made one final check in the mirror by her front door. She had to admit, she was dressed for the occasion.

She crept back out the door and headed for Dave's house. He was standing in his garage, carrying a pair of drumsticks. When he saw her, he hopped into his car and started the engine. She got into the passenger seat, and he pulled out of the driveway.

She sat and watched as he drove to the 9:30 club, grinning from ear to ear. Little did she know that this would be the start to something much larger than either of them could possibly imagine.