[23] goodbye take off

・❥・

CLEO's POV

i wouldn't say mason's content, but i wouldn't say he's mad either. the tension is even weirder with jude and anyone who could fit in the backseat.

"so... how long is the flight?"

long enough to make me forget about this car ride. "about three hours." my phone was already blowing up with everyone back there. "and you're sure you're gonna visit?"

"got a reason to again." i whisper.

・❥・

"a move to barcelona is big, cleo." i know that by now because every time i mention it, there's always someone there to shut down the idea.

i thought this would be my last visit ever. i thought i'd have to make mason and anyone here fly out to me instead. but the last of my days spent with jude made me realize it really isn't. "and y'know what. it's not a bad idea."

"do you now?"

we were in my bed trying to watch a movie but we get so lost in topics that sometimes we never go back. "it'd give me a reason to go see you more often." he looks down at me when we meet gazes. "aren't you also going back to dortmund soon?"

"i mean yeah but you didn't think i wasn't gonna visit you at all this time around, did you?"

i don't know why that changed everything, but it did. we're both gonna try to be on the same page this time around and it shows.

"make it soon, please."

"well since you're asking."

・❥・

how're we already here?

we're in the drop off lane because airport parking is a joke when mason puts the car to a stop and we get out the same time. but it's just us. we make our way to the trunk where he gets out my suitcases. "guess this is it for a while."

only for a while. we'll find our way back. we always have. "i'm gonna miss you tons, mase."

i go up for one of the tightest hugs i could give him just to show how much i hate leaving his side. "i didn't think i was gonna miss you this much but it's kinda hitting me right about now." his face is stuffed into my hair and we both laugh at his words.

"hey, mason," for his sake, i'm gonna try to hold up the tears i wanna let fall when i pull apart. "i'll be back... and i promise."

"keep it, okay?" what i didn't realize is how much mason impacts my life when he is around.

i don't know how i managed to have not seen him in two years, or ever showing up to a game, but i swore to him it'd never be like that again. "i will. also, call me if you ever need any advice on the offer. i'll drop everything if i have to."

"i'll keep you updated." good. it's big but we're both struggling on how his future's gonna look like.

i guess everyone sensed that we had out own little moment and that it was coming to and end when saka, trent, jude and declan all come out the car. the rest wanted to be here but we facetimed at the beginning of the ride here. "when're you planning the next visit?"