Chapter-15

Lan Wangji flipped on the lights. A little late, but not too much. 10.10pm. He knew he’d missed their appointment yesterday but it can’t be helped. Loosening the tie and flinging his jacket onto the leather sofa, he dropped onto his chair. Sighing, he looked up at the fluorescent lights. An action he's repeated so often recently, that it’s become a habit.

Footsteps rang through the empty office space, they walked towards his open glass doors. Lan Wangji stood up, a guileless grin grew with anticipation. Leaning against the table, he tilted his head towards the open door.

“Mr. Lan! My goodness, you’re still here?” Xu Yang placed a hand on the open door to peek inside.

The grin vanished, “Yes. As your eyes tell you. Why are you here?”

Xu Yang laughed cheerfully as he turned his back to get to his desk, “I keep misplacing the bloody access card to my gym!”

Lan Wangji rolled his eyes. He glanced at the clock. 10.20pm. There was no longer a reason to stay. Scooping up his tie and jacket, he switched off the lights to his office.

“Mr. Lan. I don’t mean to pry... but, were you expecting someone?” gray eyes shone behind the glasses.

Xu Yang found it odd to walk in on Lan Wangji’s obvious disappointment. It was doubly odd that neither the computer nor laptop were turned on. No documents were astrew on the table either.

“Then don’t,” Lan Wangji replied curtly as he locked the glass doors.

“Ah, did Wen Qing enjoy the hamper?” Xu Yang stared keenly at Lan Wangji’s figure in the near darkness, “because if she didn’t, I did see the cleaner looking rather forlornly at it. Maybe he would like the chocolates!”

Lan Wangji turned to see flashes of light reflected off Xu Yang’s round glasses, “Oh? When?”

“Yesterday night. Strange guy was snooping around here at 10pm! Surely that must be illegal?” Xu Yang slid his hands into his pockets, “He was especially interested in the hamper. I don’t know if he can read, however. I had to read it out to him.”

“Read what?” Lan Wangji’s voice turned gruff.

“Congratulations on the Engagement,” in the dark Xu Yang knew Lan Wangji wouldn’t see his smile, “Somehow news of your engagement seemed to affect him.”

Cocking his head to the side, Xu Yang asked gleefully, “I wonder why?”

“Hm?” Lan Wangji stepped abruptly towards Xu Yang, startling him.

Xu Yang tensed as he stepped back.

“I told you not to pry,” Lan Wangji placed a broad hand on Xu Yang’s shoulder to squeeze it.

Moving nearer, he whispered in a low and threatening tone, “For your sake.”

“Besides, what will you do with this information?” he lifted his hand off the shoulder, “Everyone knows of my tastes. Surely you don’t have dreams of going up against the Lan's or Wen's, do you?”

“I-...” Xu Yang felt the aching sting on his shoulder, “I don’t.”

“That’s right,” Lan Wangji brought his face right up to Xu Yang’s dull glasses, “Know your place. Don’t think you know everything when you know so little.”

”Did I not tell you before?” he moved back to beam with shining eyes at Xu Yang, “you lack the bigger picture.”

Xu Yang gulped. As the loud clacking of expensive leather shoes sped away from him, he lifted his head to the ceiling. He bit down in frustration.