Chapter-10

“And these are our projected profits. Our shareholders will be very happy with these numbers,” Wen Qing concluded her snappy presentation and looked out into the meeting room to take questions.

“And your political aspirations won’t influence the type of investments we make?” Lan Wangji’s haughty voice echoed through the room. His fine features took on a sarcastic expression.

Wen Qing laughed like she’d practiced, “Of course, not! Our investment decisions are solely based on business!”

“The business of power?” Lan Wangji interrupted, derisively.

Wen Qing’s smile faltered. Lan Wangji was a damn difficult man for someone who’s company she’s just saved.

“Do what you like,” he shifted forward on his elbows, “after all, you’re the one with a 20 year plan. One only hopes you also have a plan B.”

He smirked openly.

“Meeting is done. Thank you, everyone.” Wen Qing nodded, keeping her eyes on him.

Lan Wangji was first to march out of the room. He headed straight to the lift to get to his office.

“Crazy bitch,” he thought, “I’d rather be a mooch than marry her.”

He exhaled aloud as he slumped into his chair. Lately, work has been draining his soul more than usual. His mind wandered as he glanced at the area of table Weiying had cleaned vigorously after their activities last Friday.

“Weiying sounds great right now.”

Whatever had possessed him to come to him that night? It puzzled Lan Wangji. Whatever it was, it was to his benefit. He drummed his fingers on the table and glanced at his dust-free nameplate. Deciding on his course of action, he got up to seek Weiying out.

“Xu Yang, have you seen that cleaner?”

“The cleaner?”

“Thin guy, black hair, brown eyes?”

“Oh, Weiying! I’m not sure. He was here not too long ago. He usually works his way from the top floors down!” Xu Yang mused, a faint smile on his lips, “Do you need a cleaner for something? I can get-“

“No bother. I want to walk and I just need my desk wiped. I’ll look for him myself. But..." Lan Wangji eyed him with suspicion, “how do you know his schedule?”

“Oh?” Xu Yang was taken aback.

How, indeed? He hadn’t realized how unwittingly close he’d gotten to the cleaner over the past few weeks. It can’t be helped. The cleaner was submissive, naive and most importantly- unimportant. He had been the perfect candidate for Xu Yang to turn to for relief from work.

“I suppose we talk quite a bit. He has a pure heart,” Xu Yang simpered, broad and plastic, at Lan Wangji.

Lan Wangji blinked plainly, “Have you found a fiancée yet?”

Xu Yang’s eyes widened. It was extremely rare for Lan Wangji to ask about his personal life.

“Ah not yet...” he avoided Lan Wangji’s interrogative gaze.

“Perhaps, I should help," Lan Wangji cracked a cunning smile.

“I don’t think that’s necessary-“

“Oh, a man of your standing deserves only the best. I’m sure I can use my connections to help you find a suitable partner,”

Lan Wangji observed eagerness bleed through Xu Yang’s normally impassive face. He may not know, but Xu Yang had always been painfully transparent in his ambitions. An easy target for manipulation.